Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender..... American or Mexican

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jake15, Jan 19, 2001.

1. Jake15

Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    I would like to know what you guys recommend... american fenders or mexican.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Americans are more consistent in quality and have graphite reinforced necks, better tuners, better body wood, better bridge and pickups.

But a Mexi is a lot cheaper, and for a couple of hundred in hardware and pickups, you could have one killer bass. Just play before you buy, some Mexis are awesome, some are lacking in quality control, IME.

But it wouldn't change the fact that it is made of poplar, unless you get the sunburst, which is supposedly alder, although I have seen one(don't know the year) that was alder veneer on a poplar core.

3. bassman64

bassman64

Jan 19, 2001
    NY
    i was shopping for a new bass and in that process i played both types. i wasnt impressed with either type. i had a 68 p bass when i was a kid and that was sweet. $700 + for the american..not worth it. the mexican type is good if you want to smash it on stage like pete townsend...lol. i also tried out the gibsons and a few bc rich```s
    so i bought what i think is the cadilac of basses..a rickenbacker.it is still made and sounds the same as the ones from the 70`s...great sound deep bass and hard treble...unmistakeable sound..there is no other!

4. Adam Clayton

Adam Clayton

Jan 19, 2001
    1. Try a few of each
    2. Which do you think sounds best ?
    3. How much cash do you have?
    4. Get the bass - play it ! - have fun !

5. If I had the dough, I'd go American, but I don't, so I've gone Mexi Jazz with upgrades. See profile. I love it, and a Squier Jazz that plays even better!

Chris