Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fender american or mexican

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by the_ego, Nov 19, 2004.

1. the_ego

the_ego

Nov 18, 2004
    hello guys..i dont have a big budget by now..and i need a bas... dunno if got for american or for mexican..actualy i can buy an amarican..but my question is... whast teh real dioference in sound of an american and a mexican p bass?

2. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    The american has better quality construction, wood, and pu's. It also has graphite rods in the neck and a parallel/series switch for making your bass brighter.

They say it's better to buy a Mexican and hotrod it with different pu's and a badass bridge but I think there's a better option. First off, Fender quality control is horrible. I'm not saying every Fender is bad, just never ever ever ever ever ever ever buy one without playing it first. Not too hard considering almost every music store carries Fender.

Now to that better option I was talking about earlier: a Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub. It's a P-bass modeled after a Fender '64 P. It has higher quality pu's (Lindy Fralin) than the american Fender P's and has a higher mass bridge. It also has a tad wider neck (which I like) and flatter fingerboard with vintage frets. It lacks the graphite rods but it's debatable whether they really do anything or not and the parallel/switch is of minimal use to me. Who wants a bright P-bass?

The main thing that sold me on the Skyline Glaub was the high praises from fellow TB'ers and Lakland's extremely high quality control standards and customer service. They say the owner still answers the phone :eek: !!!!!!! Don't see that everyday. Also the vintage frets were a big selling point too. From what I can tell 90% of basses now come stock with medium jumbo frets. Vintage frets are smaller and thinner. The benefit of this is that it makes less noise when the string slams down against the fret when you fret a string.

Let me clear something up, the Skyline series is Lakland's Korean line. Lakland's American line is custom basses that go well over 2K$. The Skyline are built in Korea but all the electronics and pu's are American! Lakland is also very strict with it's quality control of the Skyline series. Go to their site and read the "Life of a Skyline" article.

I know I rambled a bit but I'm a P-bass with flats nut and I love my Glaub :hyper: . The Skyline Glaub is $850 at BassCentral.com (give Gard a PM ;) ) while the American Std P is $950 at MF with a hardcase. You can get a hardcase at BC for $85 so it all works out though.

Oh well, just something to think about :) .

3. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    +1

4. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    +1 Also on the try one first point.

If you want to stick with Fender, hunt around for a used American standard P-Bass. They were especially consistent and good from '96-'98 before they expanded the US plant (there was still some good mojo). Used Am. Std's are in the $500 range depending on wear etc. Great value and they only require a little extra savings over the Mexican product.

You can also run a search here on TB as this has been discussed in numerous threads ad nauseum.

5. the_ego

the_ego

Nov 18, 2004
    well another issue..i Live in chile..and teh price of a p-bass mexican is half the price of an american..is not just a little extra saving...here is a lot more expensive than in USA.

well... i've seen a japanese p-bass at an affordable prive...what about those basses??

:)

6. Stevious G

Stevious G

May 5, 2003
    MIJs, (Japanese,) are the best basses to have the Fender name written on the headstock since the 60's.

If you can get an MIJ, DO IT.

7. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    You may have misread my post, I was recommending a USED US P-Bass at $500 US.

Again, I recommend that you use the "search" feature here on TB and you will find several discussions on the MIM vs MIJ vs MIA et. al.

Good luck.

8. the_ego

the_ego

Nov 18, 2004
    yes i know...but for me is imposible to buy a bass in teh USA, i live in south america..and i have not a lot of options...its sad u know :(

well i'me looking at this used fender p-bass made in japan..at $US 650... and its just a little less than a used mexican p-bass special... dunno whats better... the japaness seems to have teh graphiote stuff in teh neck...and as far as i know it does have american pu's and wood...am i right?

9. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I'd go for the Japanese. :bassist: Play before you buy though.

10. the_ego

the_ego

Nov 18, 2004
    yes i think that this what i'm gonna do..but help me...dos japanese uses de same materials than usa?

11. Like everyone is saying, PLAY the exact instrument you are going to buy before you buy it! All Fenders are different and I've played Mexicans that were 10x better than Americans. If you are new to the bass world, have someone who knows their basses go with you. Don't rely on the salesmen cause they just want to sell it. Get someone who really knows and have them play all the fenders in the showroom. Ignore the headstocks. Find the best one, then look at the headstock and price.

12. ceremony74

ceremony74

Sep 27, 2004
    every fender is a different story, so you have to play it. usually japanese are better than mexican ones and the american are supposed to be the best, but... i´ve already tried a mexican P that had a sound as good as the american. obviously the finish of the americans is always better. by the way, they also have that american highway 1 series...

13. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    The current H1 is a huge rip. I almost bought a Jazz H1 the other day until I researched it a bit. It is virtually identical to the new MIM Standard "Upgrade" but with a cheaper finish and a wildly inflated price. Same neck (different decal), same pickups, same machine heads, same body blank, same bridgeplate, same trim...get the idea?

The Japanese Fenders made by Fujigen Gakki are better-made in every way - particularly in the fingerboard detailing - than either the MIM or MIA Fenders and they have neck finishes that don't start to lift, check and peel in a year. The Japanese fenders made for the Japan market are different and better than the ones imported to the US by FMIC. Buy from Ishibashi.

I'm done with FMIC-made Fenders until they get serious about their QC.

14. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    I was all ready to buy an American P-bass but fell in love with a MIM p bass that has the mojo. Stays in tune for years at a time and the super low action...to die for. I would agree with the afore mentioned post of ignoring the headstock and country of make. QC at Fender seems all over the map so play before you buy. Good luck with your search! :)

15. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    thanks guys :)