FENDER AMERICAN ORIGINAL '60S PRECISION BASS, A CS KILLER?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mellow yellow, May 9, 2021.

1. Hi, I've bought a P AO '60, around 10 months ago. I'm a jazz bass fan so it was and it is a sort of changing dimension, changing way of life, pardon, way of play. This bass is very good to me and it has brought to me a new style of playing (less notes, more on low sector)
    Because I'm a CS customer, it seems logical to me, to buy a CS P, since now I'm used to a P and its larger fingerboard than Jazz Bass.
    But at the same time I was thinking if AO serie could be a serious competitor against CS.
    What do you think about it?
    Ciao

2. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I think you have a P bass that works well for you.

One Way, andare, MikeMig and 13 others like this.
  3. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    You are correct in your assumption that a CS Precision will not necessarily prove an upgrade from what you're playing.

4. Outbush

Outbush

Nov 6, 2016
    Australia
    If you love it, keep it. It might justy be "your bass" and that is a beautiful thing.

Tbone76, One Way, retslock and 2 others like this.
  5. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    If you have to buy a bass, Leo Fender also had two other companies.:thumbsup:
    Since you already have a Precision and a Jazz, maybe you should try out a StingRay or an L2000.

Tbone76, Murch, klyph and 1 other person like this.
  6. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I had a AV63 RI and a newer AO. The 63 played better, sounded better, and was just a superior bass. I am glad you like the AO but I will take the AV63 any day.

7. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    I am glad you like your 63, but I will take my AVRI 62 over that without hesitation

8. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I believe that from all I have heard, I have been searching for a 62 for a long time.

russellh86 likes this.
  9. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Good question.

I have a Fender '58 American Vintage Reissue Precision Bass made about 2014. (I have owned several Fender Custom Shops.) The difference in quality or build? The Custom Shops might be about 5% better. And I say "might".

The AVRI and the AO are fantastically made basses. And you are right, in a way, serious competition to the CS basses.

(And they are not reliced.)
    ................................................................................................................
    PS (added later)

Supposedly from printed articles, the AVRI line from 2013 up the AO line, pre-CBS basses were scanned and from those computer measurements, the AVRI basses were made. So, they are an improvement over the pre 2013 instruments.

The AO line is pretty much the same as the 2013 and up AVRI line except that the neck radius went from 7.25" to 9.5".

Last edited: May 9, 2021
  10. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    "Might" indeed. P basses are such simple critters that that extra, ineffable 5% could be found in a 62, a 63, a CS, what have you. A superior P bass is a case of a particular assemblage of common parts having an extra "something" that I would posit is predicated on the taste of the particular player. My '57 has ungodly low action without fret buzz. But low action is not desired by all players.
    Likewise, slight differences in neck cut between models could make for the "best" player.

Custom shop necks do have quartersawn necks which are "supposed" to be "better" in that they are more stable. But I culled a US neck of a 2001 US P bass that has rods to strengthen it, and I like it more than the quarter sawn CS neck I owned, just more ergonomic for some mysterious reason.

Tbone76, Raoul_Duke, petrus61 and 2 others like this.
  11. Matty Koff

Matty Koff

Aug 21, 2014
    Tennessee
    I doubt a CS P-bass would offer much more than my American Special P-bass does in the way of playability and sound. But I wouldn't knock anybody for their choice if they wanted a Fender built to their specs.

As much as I love my Am. Special.. I do sometimes find myself tempted to check out new new American Professional series because of that yummy Dark Night finish.

I don't need it though. My P-bass is pretty sweet.

12. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    If you want a CS, you want a CS and nothing else really satisfies that itch. There's nothing WRONG with other basses, but they aren't CS.

13. I don't doubt it.

Yesterday I was buying a bass ( Yamaha BB3000 - the subject of another thread ) off a gentleman who'd decided to downsize. I asked him what he was downsizing to and he said "one bass", and then he showed me what it was.

Lo and behold, a sunburst '75 precision with a rosewood board.

Now I'm not usually one given to hyperbole, but this bass was flawless, immaculate, stunning. Quarter sawn neck with a perfect neck pocket. Strings perfectly aligned up the board. Sunburst faded to a soft yellow. TV Logo. I picked it up, plugged it in and was floored. It just sang. The best Fender bass I have ever laid my hands on by a considerable margin. Markedly superior to my '59 CS shop P (an incredible bass in its own right). Yes, it was *that* good.

I told him to never sell it, then immediately followed that up by saying that if for some reason he had a change of heart and decided to offload it - reason being that he'd completely taken leave of his senses - then he was to contact me immediately, if not sooner, so I could buy the damn thing.

Tbone76, retslock, andare and 6 others like this.
  14. Luigir

Luigir

Mar 15, 2018
    I'll be happy with the bass you already have. It seems to me that you like it a lot and I don't see much need to look for custom shop for what might result in a slight change of flavour.

Tbone76 likes this.
  15. Bass4ThePublic

Bass4ThePublic Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2019
    Kansas City
    Go play some custom shop basses. If you think they’re better than the AO P, then buy the CS P. Everyone owes it to themselves to play a bass that they love.

16. Road Worn v. AO/AVRI v. Custom Shop
    0509211200.jpg
    I played a RW P made in Mexico in the store and found it to be a nice Bass for that vibe.

I've owned '63 & '58 AVRI P Basses made in the USA and loved and customized both.

I purchased and returned a Light Relic '62 P Bass. I didn't find the value exchange there.

This is not an indictment of anything. There are options. Relic is not really my bag. I am a materials, options and function person. I find many of the FSR and Limited Edition Basses to be very nice and we'll made.

I am currently using USA Fender AO and Signature parts, with electronics I want in a configuration you can not get currently in production and would be cost prohibitive if done in the Custom Shop.

"When You're Ready", do it yourself to play it and don't worry about making money when you "flip it" or if anyone cares who made it!

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    Son of Wobble and Bikeguy57 like this.
  17. Old subject .. I’m abstaining myself from commenting .. I’d like to give the Pino Palladino CS P-bass a try although I’m a proud owner of an AO ‘60s P-bass in LPB

Hypercaffium and Son of Wobble like this.
  18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    CS basses are usually great. Do I care? Not really. I live within my means, I'm gloriously happy with the basses I have, and while none of them were too darn expensive, they're all terrific in their own ways.

19. I'm old so I have played P's from 50's-70's and a few custom shops. Neck profiles change and one I really like is a 59 custom shop its was wide yet thin and had a rosewood fretboard and sounded great. I just think current prices are too high if you can find a used bass in good shape you can save $$. I also had a fullerton AVRI 57 P with a maple neck that played really good I sold it to buy something I needed but I wish I could have held onto to it. That's the 59 in my profile pic I use it as a sub for my semi retired 60's P.

Son of Wobble likes this.
  20. Kinda on topic... The American Original Jazz Bass has a neck that is a bit different than one might expect from a Jazz Bass. A bit thicker front to back.

The wood in the American Original necks is better (tighter grain) than the wood in the American Professional. I imagine the wood in the Custom Shop necks are better than the wood in the American Originals’.

Pet Sounds and petrus61 like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021