FENDER AMERICAN ORIGINAL '60S PRECISION BASS, A CS KILLER?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mellow yellow, May 9, 2021.

1. Mike Vee

Mike Vee

Oct 8, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Funny, I've had both and feel the exact opposite. I like the AO way more.

2. The CS does use a very nice quality 1/4 sawn Maple on most Basses that I have ever seen. (I have not reviewed every item that ever came out of the CS.) I can say that Warmoth has supplied Fender necks on request in the past. Customer's choice.

I would prefer to use clear 1/4 sawn Maple when ever possible due to inherent superior stability. That said; I just tell myself flat sawn is what Leo used for the overwhelming majority of now vintage instruments. I take care of my Basses and have never had a neck issue.

I save some coin and use the nitro-finished USA Fender parts and keep on going!

Tbone76 and Son of Wobble like this.
  3. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    I think it's part of the law of diminishing returns. Are CS better than AO/AVRI probably, different for sure but worth twice the price?
    Probably not. No instrument is twice as nice/good as the next tier up.

I have two sunbursts: an AVRI P62 and an AO P60's and I love them both. Do the idea of a CS is attractive? Sure, then I look a the price and think two basses will always give me more than a single one even if its a CS.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  4. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Played a Pino CS at a Guitar Center store some ten years ago, passing it back and forth with another tire-kicker, and we agreed it was one of the best Ps we had ever touched. One caveat, though, this was the first time I had experienced TI flats, which gave the bass a then-unique (to us) feel, that extra "bit of strange" that made it feel especially distinctive.

And to stick my contention that there are jewels to be found at all price points, the next bass I remember being impressed with most distinctly at that same Guitar Center (which I cruised for years) was an American Standard Jazz bass, tuxedo with a maple neck. It felt just perfect.

Of course, leaving the valley and going the Guitar Center in Hollywood, I remember a Fullerton-era Jazz that was immaculate and felt great and almost seemed to have an aura....

And.... And...

Last edited: May 9, 2021
  5. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    I also got my hands briefly o a 59 custom shop, white with anodized guard and a rosewood fingerboard, and it was amazing.
    That one was in the bass room at a shop called California Vintage Guitar in L.A. That store is a CS dealer, but their bass room is tiny,
    so you would go back there and there would be CS cases lined up that you could open one after another on the carpet. And what a treat, every time, to open a case not knowing what work of art awaited your eyeballs. And then another. And another. Cheap thrills via guitar endorphins

J_Bass and andare like this.
  6. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    Depends on the bass. I’ve had AVRIs that were CS killers and some not so much. I’ve had a few CS basses that were built like hammered poop tho. The AOs and and old AVRIs all seemed fairly consistent, much more so than the CS basses. Also, I definitely do not believe the wood in the CS instruments are superior specimens in terms of wood quality because almost all of them come in over 9lbs. It’s fender and they’re making a truckload of guitars just on the cs line each month(at least 1000 every month), they can’t afford to be that choosy.

J_Bass likes this.
  7. zie

zie Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2014
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    The American Original that you have right now, if you do not take care of it, will turn into a custom-shop heavy relic in about 15 years :laugh:

8. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Can anyone speak to how the first gen AmPro P necks (standard bolt pattern) compare to the AO’s? IIRC they used the same 63 profile, or am I misremembering?

zie and Son of Wobble like this.
  9. Can’t answer but to me, for instance, the neck of my ex-Am. Elute P felt much chunkier than that of the AO ‘60s I traded it for

10. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    cool to hear, i just grabbed what I think was a steel on an american vintage P bass 60s in lake placid blue. I really need to stop buying basses and decide what to keep. this is the 3rd p i've bought in a week....but i don't think ill keep them all. Grabbed a 2012 american vintage P bass, a 2016 american standard (now for sale) and this american Orig P bass.

I thought I could easily get my $ back and might be a bass i'd want to keep. I'm curious how it will sound and am curious about the finish.

Truth be told, because the color is lake placid blue and I already have a moollon coming with that color, i may want to trade for a 50s at some point for something different. I should get it friday and plan to really compare all 3 before deciding what stays. Sadly i cant keep them all.

Tbone76 likes this.
  11. From FENDER:

"Crafted in the same facility as our U.S.-made instruments, the American Professional Precision Bass Neck is well-suited to any playing style. Considered by many to be the gold standard of bass neck profiles, this neck sports our '63 P Bass® profile, which offers an effortlessly comfortable fret-hand feel. Other features include a 9.5"-radius rosewood fingerboard, 20 narrow-tall frets, bone nut and a satin urethane finish on the back."

12. 2F/2F

2F/2F

May 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    If you like the flatter fingerboard and larger frets than vintage style specs, then a CS instrument won't be an upgrade, IMO. I would go CS made-to-order N.O.S. if I wanted vintage-style specs from a brand new Fender. That said I'd rather go with the 2013–2017 AV Series, used, if I was after the vintage-style specs (smaller frets and curvier board). Cheaper, and just as good, plus they are going to be very, very sought after in the future, IMO. They will gain value, while a CS N.O.S. will tank if bought new. They discontinued the AV Series for a reason. It was too damned good for the buck, so there was not much reason for anyone to buy Custom Shop N.O.S.

13. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Thanks! Anyone here that owns both?

14. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Custom shop instruments are for when....you want something different - a different color, different finish, different woods, etc. They have developed a reputation for being "better" than the high end production instruments. I'm not sure if they really are, or if the fact that you pay more for them has just come to make people ASSUME that they must be better as actual instruments.

I'd say your decision is simple - if what you want color, wood, and finish wise (etc.) is available from the factory, do that. If not, and you are willing to spend the extra money for exactly what you want, then go that way. I just wouldn't assume that having something made in the custom shop necessarily means it's a better musical instrument.

Tbone76, J_Bass and PhatBottomBass1 like this.
  15. Raoul_Duke

Raoul_Duke Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2010
    Michigan
    I suppose if there were anything you KNEW you wanted that you don’t have on the AO, you could request those on a CS? Right???

But that’d be more money than the standard CS models. If it was “off the shelf”, then you wouldn’t know if you prefer it without first trying it out. I dunno, man. I’d stick with the one you already have and love, or at least avoid ordering a CS without playing it first.

Tbone76 likes this.
  16. If there is a neck contour you are interested in say like a "soft V or hard V" you're going to have to see the Custom Shop. Then you can go crazy from there...light weight body or chambered, custom color, controls on a pickguard and electronics. Then relic stuff.

I was not sure how the price was reached for the "Phil Lynott Signature" P Bass @ $12K?

17. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    I have a Jazz AO and love it. But fenders can surprise you. Heard some Road Worns and sounded incredible. Some basses you get to know its sweet spots and play it accordingly. Marcus Millers bass was off the store rack. Still got it and plays great...still.

18. I wasn't a fan of the AO neck, prefer the actual original profile and shape. But glad the AO works better for you and I'm sure plenty of other people like the new design too. :thumbsup:

Bassist30 likes this.
  19. andare

andare

Oct 4, 2016
    Krakow
    You have a good P bass that is working for you, I say resist the temptation.

I stay in my lane, financially.
    I have my polished Squier "turds" (actually not bad at all) and MIM Fenders. I set them up and dress them up all nice to be the best they can be and then I focus on playing.
    I can't afford MIA, CS and vintage Fenders so I never want to find out how good they are. In this case ignorance is bliss for me.

20. I don’t know if Italians have such a saying but here in Australia we sometimes say, “A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush”. You already have a good Precision bass. There is no guarantee that if you buy another one it will be any better.

Tbone76 and zie like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021