FENDER AMERICAN ORIGINAL '60S PRECISION BASS, A CS KILLER?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mellow yellow, May 9, 2021.

1. John Webb

John Webb

Apr 20, 2006
    What's all this AO, CS stuff....

2. This.
    It worked pretty well for me too and it's the only P bass I kept and constantly play. Killer tone, well built and not too heavy. Pickups are beautiful imho.

3. same situation here, the only P I have.

Hypercaffium likes this.
  4. American Original - current

American Vintage Re-Issue - discontinued

Custom Shop - on going

Tbone76 likes this.
  5. andare

andare

Oct 4, 2016
    Krakow
    Yes, we say "better an egg today than a hen tomorrow"

6. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    Just some food for thought:

I don't consider myself a Fender customer. I play handmade European instruments for the most part, so I've spent CS money on basses, just not on CS basses.

TB slowly infested my nervous system up to a point where I did not see a chance to go on without owning a P with flats. For reasons, it had to be seafoam green with a maple board. The Fender Mod Shop where you can configure your axe is sadly not available in Germany. This left me with the option of biding my time, watching the classifieds, getting a Squier (forgot the exact name), the MIM Vintera or the Custom Shop.
    The Squier was out of the picture because it is/was a 70's version where the fretboard has block inlays and black binding - and that does not work for me with SFG.

There was a CS bass second hand close by, but that had a relic job and I hate these. I was tempted, though because the seller was in a hurry to sell (Covid problems) and willing to go painfully low on the price (sub 2,5k).
    In the end it boiled down to the Vintera vs having a CS made. After a massive amount of overthinking I went with the Vintera and a few select mods (pickup, pickguard).
    Here's why:
    I don't really see the P bass as a luxurious item. It's a one trick pony and its one trick is simplicity.
    When I want intricate and complex design, I use my Le Fay bass. When I want active electronics with a wide range of enhancing the tonal options, I pick my Dreizehnbass with dual humbuckers, Glockenklang pre and state variable filter. However, when I want that P bass simplicity, I grab that P.

I mean, we're talking about a bass that was designed in the last century and has not had any significant design changes for six decades. It's a workhorse. It's simple. It was meant to be cheaply produced.

Following that logic, there's no real pressure to upgrade an American P to a CS model. I doubt you'll get your money's worth out of the difference between the two. I'm sure I don't.
    YMMV.

retslock likes this.
  7. Bassclef46

Bassclef46

Feb 1, 2021
    this is a very confusing thread. The OP has an AO that he loves that may or may not be a P Bass since it was not stated, yet loves said bass, and thinks it may be a CS killer....yet wants to replace it with a CS P bass

makes sense

I am not sure if this kind of thinking is a bass player thing, or a TB member thing.

8. Go back and read the first line it's states it's a "P" AO 60's...

Your confusion as likely a native English speaker is understandable.

9. I'm very sorry if my English being less than scholastic, can cause confusion, but other than that, the actual question is "could be an AO P Bass a sort of CS killer?".
    Obviously the question is also referring to MY PERSONAL situation, but not only at that.
    Custom Shop production is near entirely devoted to the reissue thing, with some amount, here and there, of imagination. It's seems logical compare it to the today true reissue serie AO. I don't see Ultra a CS competitor, for instance.
    Out of curiosity, btw
    Ciao

Tbone76 likes this.
  10. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    If this Precision has impressed you so much I'd try the Jazz in this range. There are no guarantees, but I would check it out if I was you.

11. I was asking to TB people if a serie like AO could be a sort of CS killer.
    My English is not fine and I'm excusing for this, but the question is in the title. Obviously I'm not referring to MY P Bass but to the AO P Bass serie.

Tbone76 likes this.
  12. It's a sort of off topic here, but I've been thinking about trying out a Jazz Bass AO for some time now.
    thanks for the suggestion

chris_b likes this.
  13. Your English is just fine Mellow Yellow.

If you had/or have now a CS Bass, potentially a Jazz Bass with your prior experience to the purchase of your currently owned AO 60's P Bass. Then I think you are the best person to make that decision. You are well informed on both types, have access and state you are a CS customer with the financial resources to acquire.

Let us know what you decide to do.

Tbone76 and mellow yellow like this.
  14. Bassclef46

Bassclef46

Feb 1, 2021
    your english not being fine as you put it has nothing to do with the confusion in your question as originally stated. however now that you made it clear, the only way for anyone to answer this is to have owned both a CS and AO to make an honest comparison. I own 2 AO but never played a CS so how could i say the AO is better?

15. Mike Vee

Mike Vee

Oct 8, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I loved the look and feel of my sonic blue 63 AVRI but unfortunately I chose to sell it. About a year later I grabbed a white AO 60s and the neck just blew me away. I love that thick, flat feel. Not too much different, but an improvement I enjoy personally. I sold that too, though, in favor of keeping my American Original Hot Rod 60s precision, a rare bird with a compound radius neck that I like better than both of the above.

Tbone76 and Mastermold like this.
  16. Agree on the jazz neck profile but I didn’t notice significant wood grain differences between the two models

17. Well .. I should as well consider the first time playing a bass fitted with TI flats an important caveat as well (all my basses are provided with TI flats now :);))

Son of Wobble likes this.
  18. Got an AO ‘60s jazz as well .. super jazz bass for me (in fact I sold all the others) .. one thing, however, bothers me sometimes it being the overall neck stability or response to a change of strings ..

Bassist30 likes this.
  19. We also say sometimes that it seems that somebody “wants the wife drunk and the barrel (?) full” but that isn’t subject related I guess ... :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

andare likes this.
  20. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    I have heard enough of your recordings to know that you are a terrific player. TI strings definitely work for you. No doubt the Pino bass would too. Would you prefer it to your AO? The question remains open. Start stockpiling your euros! :hyper:

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021