1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender American Original Basses ... ????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gianni "Orlandez" Orlati, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Dear TBers...

Do you know why Fender put the American Original basses in production?
    They can't replace the AVRIs ... no pickups covers, non-vintage fretboard radius, bland colours selection ... what's the meaning? And why they seem to cost that much with respect to the AVRIs? Because they don't have the pickup covers??? :smug::roflmao::D:):cool:
    Seriously, which kind of instruments we are looking at now?
    If i buy a MIM with nirtro lacquer finish I have the same stuff with the exclusion of the five patents writings on the headstock and of the vintage style HSC ....
    What's Fender's intent?

Pbassmanca likes this.
  2. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    If I had to guess, I'd say it is to move reissues to the Custom Shop. The people that care enough will pay.

3. PaperbackRyder

PaperbackRyder Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Maynard, MA
    They look pretty tasty to me. I've had some gas for the 57 look. Replacing the AVRI series. I'm not that precious about the details as long as the tone is there. The "Original" series pickups have the goods!

Linnin and consectaneus like this.
  4. Yes but I'd like to understand the reasons behind the lower selling price ... that's the point

5. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496

Dec 14, 2014
    I’m not keen on paying $2000 for a bass but I would love to have that natural 70’s Jazz Bass to match my natural 77 P Bass.

bobba66 likes this.
  6. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Outside of FMIC, I doubt you'll get anything more than opinions and conjecture from around here. Definitely something to do with marketing, though (see what I did there?).

And that's not the burning question I woke up with this morning.

(oops, did I say that out loud?....:D). I'm sorry.

I don't mean that as snarky, seriously. I blame the (lack of sufficient quantities of) coffee...:roflmao::roflmao:

7. To me it's an interesting one as I was considering buying FMIC's stocks but this last step is difficult to interpret ... hope it's not a false one... however in Europe all new AVRI basses could cost between 1900 and 2200Eur.
    With the current conversion rate between USD and EUR it seems that these new guys could cost between 1700 and 2000Eur.... i think it's really due to the absence of the pickups covers ...

8. consectaneus

consectaneus

Sep 23, 2016
    As cool as the '50s model AVRIs are (were) didn't they take accuracy so far as to raise the pole piece on the A string, something Leo felt necessary to do to compensate for limitations in bass amplification at the time? I don't know how much people loved that feature, but it seems like here is one example where mixing a bit of the best from all eras and putting a basic '60s pickup in would be an ok thing.

9. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    That strikes me as an astute observation.

Pbassmanca and J-Bassomatic like this.
  10. Not much difference honestly although I do dig the 70s Jazz. Looks sick.

11. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    I do not, but I am pretty sure Fender is going to tell us all in 6 days at Winter NAMM 2018. My best guess is that Fender wants to sell more basses & guitars. This new 'American Original' series splits the difference between modern and American Vintage Re-Issue. 9 1/2" neck radius instead of true vintage 7 1/4". Some players just can't take the tighter curve of the vintage radius. I can go back and forth between the two with ease. I played the 7 1/4" radius from 1972 until I bought a 2012 American Standard Jazz with modern 9 1/2" radius. I must say I like the flatter modern 9 1/2" radius better.

The 'Pure Vintage' pickups are steak to a starving man.

Are the new "Vintage-Tall" frets the same as the "Narrow-Tall" on the American Professionals? Again we'll find out soon enough.

If you want bridge and pickup covers, buy them separately.

basso_profundo and danster like this.
  12. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496

Dec 14, 2014
    If I’m not mistaken (and correct me if I am), there are holes for the neck pup covers on the Jazz but none for the ashtray (bridge). The 9.5 radius neck is a great selling point for me, as well as the placement of the bridge pup. And it just looks great.

pudgychef likes this.
  13. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Not bashing here at all really, but how many varieties of f'ing P and J basses can you have? I am not a Fender guy or expert, but I can't keep it all straight. Finish, electronics, neck radius, bridges, etc. It's just too much. I would think people would appreciate a more condensed product line. And wouldn't that ease production and increase profit and maybe lower cost? What do I know.

14. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    Fender's naming conventions are starting to become more confusing than MusicMan's.

Old Blastard and SteveC like this.
  15. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Mod Shop
    American Professional
    American Original
    American Elite
    Artist
    Deluxe
    Classic
    Squier
    Custom Shop

9 lines in P and J plus all the variations within them. Add Mustang and Jaguar and its a dizzying amount of options.

Artisan, Artist, Time Machine, Post Modern, Jourrneyman, Closet Classic,its almost endless. And how big a difference can there be?

16. markbvt

markbvt

Jan 4, 2018
    According to a guy from Fender who's been posting in the "2018 version of the Fender AVRI" thread, the American Originals do include the pickup covers in the case, they're just not pre-mounted (for what it's worth, when I got my AVRI '62 P-bass in 2001, the covers were also not pre-mounted; in fact, holes hadn't even been drilled for them).

Fender has already been aggressively promoting the American Originals series on Facebook and on their website. They've been pushing a video, for example, of Tyler Bryant playing the '60s Strat and talking about its features, how the nitro finish lets the wood breathe, how he loves the guitar's vintage vibe and period-correct bridge, etc -- but he specifically talks about how the flatter fretboard radius makes it easier for modern players. I'm curious how much of that is scripted, because it seems his personal guitar is a Custom Shop '59 Strat, which I would guess has a 7.25" radius (though of course he may have ordered it with a flatter radius; no idea).

I'm curious to see whether Fender will announce anything at NAMM to address those of us who prefer the more accurate vintage reissues. Wouldn't be at all surprising to see new Custom Shop models announced...

--mark

17. telecopy

telecopy

Dec 6, 2009
    USA
    Here's a decent article about the series..
    Fender’s American Original Series marries classic guitars with modern tech
    Another..
    Fender Reveals American Original Series Including Four New BBBasses
    One more..
    Fender American Original Series relaunches old favourites with modern updates - gearnews.com

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  18. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    That's where the real money is to be made with the Master Builder examples being the most desirable.

19. 9.5 is by now almost "the standard" for Custom Shop guitars, not 7 1/4. Just to see the numbers; I went to the Custom Shop website and did the count on the Stratocasters they're currently offering and the results are ascending by numbers: 12": 1 , 10": 7 , 7 1/4" (or compound 7 1/4- 12"): 7 and the winner is: 9 1/2" (or 9 1/2-12"): 43! I guess that pretty much says it all. :)

20. Thank you for your answer .. it's very helpful :cool: i don't care about the covers, although they are a precise part of those vintage instruments ... what I'd like to understand is the reason behind the price reduction ... it's obvious that i'm joking on the covers ..

PS

I can live with the vintage radius fretboard very well as well as with that of my Am. Std. and Am. Pro.