1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender American Original neck/body mix and match

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by anyonefortennis, Nov 5, 2018.

1. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    I've always wanted a jazz bass with a precision neck.

Found an American classic 70s jazz body (4 bolt) and an American classic 50s precision neck.

Are the neck pockets the same for jazz and precision basses in the American classic line? Would this work?

Fender has not replied with an answer when I reached out.

2. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    USA, Phoenix, AZ
    I have been told that they are but there are some exceptions? I'd doing the opposite, P body with a Jazz neck. With the combination I have to work with the neck seems to be loose in the pocket. Not sure how much that really matters, I've never done anything like this.

3. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Are you doing it with American Original series?

4. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    I generally assume they are interchangeable. When I swapped to a p neck on a jazz, it fit great.

madjazzbass likes this.
  5. juancaminos

May 30, 2003
    USA, Phoenix, AZ
    MIM P Bass Body with aftermarket fretless Jazz bass neck

6. They're pretty much built to a standard size but depending where the neck is sourced from there could be small differences.

7. Kikegg

Kikegg

Mar 3, 2011
    Madrid, Spain
    IME, except for the 50's neck tail/pocket, which is totally straight, you should not have any issues swapping necks.

I've swapped necks and bodies from different lines. CIJ body + MIA P neck, MIA body + AllParts P neck, MII body + CIJ J neck, aftermarket body + MIA J neck... and in every combination the neck fitted tightly to the body pocket.

8. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    I've been swapping P and J necks between P and J bodies since the 1970's. There's are no problems doing this. Every bass is slightly unique in it's fit but the neck screws will hold the neck in place just fine. And if the neck ever did move due to a drop, bump, or collision, the fix is pretty darn simple: loosen the screws slightly, move the neck to where you want it, and tighten the screws. Done.

9. juancaminos

May 30, 2003
    USA, Phoenix, AZ
    great info!