1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender American P-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deecher99, Apr 17, 2009.

1. deecher99

deecher99

Mar 27, 2009
    Hey guys, I couldn't find this thread anywhere, so I am asking here. I purchased a Fender American Standard P-Bass in 2001 and paid something like $650 for it. I paid less than market because I bought it from ebay, but I have no regrets. I think around that time that market price for an American P-Bass was around $800 or so.

I haven't shopped for a new bass in a while and noticed at Guitar Center that an American P-Bass now costs $1300 or so. Did they go through a major price increase this decade?

Also, I checked the serial number and the bass is a 2000 American Fender as advertised. Can someone clarify this for me? I'm just curious as now a MIM Fender bass is in the $500-600 range now.

2. search fender price increase. that should bring up relevant threads for you.

3. bwv1013

bwv1013

Mar 20, 2008
    southern cal
    yep, the prices went up recently and there's lots of threads about it. the good news for you is MIA fenders hold their value well and you already got a pretty good deal. i was on the fence last year, almost pulled the trigger on a MIA jazz when they were about 1100. there's nothing like a price increase to cure GAS!

4. deecher99

deecher99

Mar 27, 2009
    sorry, didn't know this was a hot topic, mod, you can close this thread.

5. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    If you like yours and plan on keeping it:

What does it matter what yours is worth?

What does it matter how much new ones cost?

:smug:

6. deecher99

deecher99

Mar 27, 2009
    i was just wanting to make sure i didn't have a bass that was something i thought it wasn't. seeing that the price went up 80-100% in 8 years is quite shocking. does that answer your question?

7. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Rickenbacker has nearly doubled it's price in the last three years too.

This isn't unheard of, nor is it a Fender only issue.

Everything has become more expensive rectenly.