Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender American Pbass pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by shnapper, Sep 16, 2005.

1. shnapper

shnapper

May 1, 2005
    Az
    Hey all,

I just swapped out my mexican pbass pups for some american vintage pbass pups. They sound so much nicer than the cheap pups that came installed.

HOWEVER!!!!!(this is a big however)

I had to resolder 2 of the factory wires (1 white jumper, 1 main white wire) because they were bird caged. For those of you not aware of what birdcaging of stranded wires is well basically the wire was not tinned properly. Anyhoo I was adjusting pup height and the pup would just die or cut volume near zero. It took me a few to figure it out, but I have fixed something I shouldn't have to. It was rather scary considering the hair thin widing strands attach at the very same thru-hole point I had to resolder. Fender needs to get this right or retrain people in soldering.

They work perfectly now and like I said above sound wonderful.
    Just curious also if anyone has come across this poor soldering with American made pickups??

Oh and I've build some serious stuff for motorola, honeywell etc....if ya need any help and want to solder like pro let me know :D

2. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    hey awesome post! I just bought some American Pups that were going to go into my 70's bass.... well thank God but the pups are fine! So I'm gonna put the new Fender pups in my squier, youthink it's worth it? Compared to your results?

3. shnapper

shnapper

May 1, 2005
    Az
    I think it's worth it, the biggest thing I noticed right off the bat was sensitivity. These pickups have serious punch in comparison, the tone control is much warmer when set flat and almost way to trebly when wide open which is nice because it really opens up the mexi pbass to more sound options. I really think fender should just increase price a tad and put these alnico pups in all there products regardless of origin.

I'm still playing with pup height, I think I got her cornered though. :D :D

4. Texx

Texx

Sep 10, 2004
    Germany
    just put those ´61 vintage Pups in my ´MIM and like their sound very much. And yes i also think they can be very trebly which i didn´t expect from a "vintage" pickup.
    I still havent found the pickup height that satisfies me completely so i´d like to know how you´ve set them?

5. shnapper

shnapper

May 1, 2005
    Az
    I set them in the standard angled pattern at about 5/32 from pickup cover (not mag heads) to center of string. I might lower them a tad to make the 5/32 to the bottom of the string, bottom meaning thickness of the widing. I like them so for where there at because it allows me to muddy up the Open E with harsh finger plucking with out mashing the string into the mag head.

I can be a little sloppy at high speed, so this gives me a happy medium without any loss of tone or punch. If your wondering where I got the 5/32, I read it on this forum in some other post under setup.

6. Texx

Texx

Sep 10, 2004
    Germany
    thanks i will try that...