1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender American Performer Series Mustang Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Christcr, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Christcr

Christcr Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Utah
    Great. Another 1200 bucks out the window... :rollno:

I predict I will soon drop the cash on THIS particular color:

0198620345_gtr_frt_001_rr.
    Thanks Fender, for taking all my money... :D

faulknersj and Bugeyed Earl like this.
  2. Christcr

Feb 8, 2015
    Utah
    As a side issue, how long has it been since Fender made a Mustang bass in America? I bought one new in about 1979 (natural with maple fingerboard). So I assume they stopped making them in the early 80s? 1982 or so?

Now all they need to do is make one with a MAPLE FINGERBOARD!!!

Mekana likes this.
  3. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Are those tuning keys any good? And, lightweight?

4. CiaranQ

CiaranQ

Jan 23, 2018
    Put a strat pickup, or a 51-P in the bridge position please fender. The Mustang P/Normal J combo just looks janky.

Tim Skaggs, Pocket4 and JGbassman like this.
  5. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    There's a Mustang with a maple board: https://www.chicagomusicexchange.co...se-pickguard-cme-exclusive-pre-order/14925076

It's a P/J though, and it's MIM.

Mekana likes this.
  6. Christcr

Feb 8, 2015
    Utah
    That's a cool bass. I was going to say that Fender doesn't make them with maple boards... guess I'm wrong. Although it looks like that store custom ordered them that way. Hey, it appears I have a friend in that shop who likes maple fingerboards! Thanks to whomever decided to request those. I'll have to look into that bass--very interested. It beats 2K for a vintage version that may or may not be a player (lots of dogs back in the 70s from Fender).

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 5:58 PM
  7. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz

May 26, 2010
    Too expensive for my taste for what it is, plus I just can't get into this pickup configuration on a Mustang. If I was in the market for a Mustang bass I'd look for a used MIJ. If I was cool with the current pickup configuration I'd look for a used a MIM version with a rosewood fingerboard.

Would be cool if they came out with a less-expensive MIM version as part of the Classic Series that just had the original split pickup config.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 6:40 PM
  8. Christcr

Feb 8, 2015
    Utah
    The pickup thing is interesting. Obviously Fender heard some feedback that the PJ config wasn't "a real Mustang" and they did this to make it a "real Mustang." I'm okay with it. It seems I've seen this mod way back in the 70's on Mustangs (along with putting another J pickup right by the neck). IIRC Tina Weymouth had one with a similar mod.

Since I like the PJ Mustangs, I'm cool with this config. It will be interesting to hear it with two volume pots rather than the switch. I know I won't be able to resist getting one for long (along with that black PJ with the maple board the other poster linked... another 579 dollars... gone :rage:).

Also, I really wish they would start putting the foam mutes with the adjustment screws like Music Man does on their classic series basses. That's the way the Mustang came originally. There is no point to that big bridge without those mutes... it's like something is missing Fender! Put them back on there.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 6:10 PM
  9. TimmyFbass

TimmyFbass Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2012
    I've noticed on every picture of the new Performer Series Mustang whether it be an add picture or a picture of an actual bass (seller on ebay has actual pictures surf green) the G string is on top of the left pole piece on the Jazz pickup. And it looks like the bridge has saddle groves so you can't move it over. Now, I know strings sometimes don't line up perfectly between the pole pieces but this design seems to be way off. Not sure what effect that will have on the G string. The Mexican Mustang PJ using a different bridge doesn't have this issue to this extent.

Also, there are more options to swap out pickups on the PJ configuration then the Performer Series. I would have liked it more with out the Jazz pickup added.

10. TimmyFbass

Nov 25, 2012
    IMG_5175. IMG_5175.

11. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    The J pickup looks a little too wide for the string spacing.

Same thing with the E string - but reversed. The string is over the right pole.

12. Pocket4

Pocket4 Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2013
    New Hampshire
    These market themes keep coming (Vintage Modified, Blacktop, Pawn Shop, Parallel Universe, and Anniversary series). I love the Fender legacy, but I think the innovation is way off. I admit I'm not a PJ player, but the pickup and switching for this combo seems like a cheap exit from offering any interesting alternative. It must have stung them like hell to offer a Dimension, Cabronita, and recent variants to be doing this.

13. Christcr

Feb 8, 2015
    Utah
    Well... you see what happens with Fender when they get too far away from their Precision, Jazz, Jaguar, and Mustang "mold." They almost always tank (Dimension, anyone?). It seems that Fender can't stray too far from their classic designs without having a flop (even if it is a decent bass). So... they get about 10,000 variations on the same theme.

For me, any Mustang is a good thing. I'd like to see some more experimentation on the Mustang "theme." You know, something crazy like a reversed headstock or a metal flake finish. But, they've got to turn a profit, so I'd assume any Mustang offering will not go too far in the experimental direction (something from the CS would be cool). Even the Pawn Shop didn't last too long and that was really just a swapped pickup--that was a decent bass, though.

14. Christcr

Feb 8, 2015
    Utah
    Yeah, it's the narrower spacing on those Mustang bridges. Like I said in the other post, they really should just bag them unless they are going to offer the mutes.

And why oh why did they take that awesome surf green and deaden it with a flat finish? Blah. If I got that, it would immediately get a gloss clear coat. I love surf green GLOSS.

15. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    Call MF and you can save $150.

16. TimmyFbass

Nov 25, 2012
    Looking at it some more, by Fender using a traditional mustang bridge it appears that the strings fall where they should over the top of the traditional mustang pickups.

if they were to space the E and G strings out left and right to fit in between the jazz pickup pole pieces then the strings would be too far left and right over the mustang pickups.

So it appears that Fender focused more on the strings going over the mustang pickups properly than over the jazz pickup. In other words they were focused more on making a traditional mustang bass.

So my question to Fender is why did you even add the jazz pickup? You already had something similar in the Mexican made PJ configuration mustang bass.

I’m still debating on whether or not to pick one up though. I might remove the jazz pickup and cover the route with something or swap out the stock pickup with a blade style jazz pickup.

17. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Washington, DC Area
    There's a slightly earlier thread on the new bass here:

New American Performer Mustang Bass

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 9:23 PM
  18. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    Not too crazy about the looks, but I would like to hear how it sounds. I have a 2001 or so CIJ Mustang that plays great, but its sound is fairly one-dimensional. I'd like to have a fretless with that Jazz pup in the bridge slot.

19. Christcr

Feb 8, 2015
    Utah
    There is a video that was just put up today that gives a better idea of the bass's tone (better than the Fender video, anyway). With the roundwounds (stock, I assume) it sounds quite "modern" compared to other variants of the Mustang. Toward the end of the video, it's about the best slap sound I've heard from a Mustang. Definitely sounds like something a bit different going on with the "Yosemite" pickups. Maybe it's not just a new name for the same, typical pickups, eh?

Too bad the guy on the video didn't tinker with the controls a bit more. Sounds like everything is wide open through the whole thing except when he rolls the tone slightly back at one point and very slightly rolls a volume down at one point.

20. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Tina had a different mod on her Mustang .
    Google Image Result for https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/talking-heads-tina-weymouth-at-the-roundhouse-london-uk-on-january-29-picture-id910835400?s=612x612