1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender American Performer Series

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Back2Bassic, Nov 28, 2019.

1. Back2Bassic

Back2Bassic

Feb 24, 2019
    I’ve recently discovered the existence of Fender’s American Performer line of guitars and Basses. I had decided to add a Fender Mustang Bass to my collection for Christmas. When I went to Fender’s site, I found that was the highest end make of the instrument. The rest were all MIM. I’m worried that I’ll get poopie from others because it’s from this “affordable” line of Basses. But since I’m unfamiliar with the series I was wondering if it’s looked down upon by people with idk, some how even more American Fenders? How are the American Performer Basses less American then the $2000 and $3000 models. Why the price gap? I know it’s a good instrument and everything but still, what’s its reputation? I know I shouldn't care about reputation but it’s something to consider when putting over $1000 into something. Will that price I pay mean nothing because the model of the instrument is written in big black font next to the Fender Logo?
    View attachment 3612711

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  2. SB300

SB300

Apr 4, 2015
    I purchased a Precision Performer a few months back and love it. The only negative was the gig bag was a joke, like a pillow case with a pocket. So I put $200 into a Fender Deluxe case like what's used on an Elite. So I have $1400 into it. The maple on the neck lacks any kind of figuring, but the overall quality and setup is pristine. I think it is a great deal. I think Fender like so many retailers make a lot of products to appeal to various buyers. The rich and professionals want the best and will pay top $. The cash-strapped will look for a hot deal for something that works and is decent. The value shopper (ie, me) will look for the option in between. I also think it will hold its value quite well. The Performer can meet the needs of a professional and will not cause much consternation if it is stolen vs a top of the line model.

Thundertips, murphy and scottm like this.
  3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 18, 2021