Fender American Precision Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by drd07, Oct 1, 2003.

1. drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    I was just curious about the quality of the pickups that come standard on the fender american precision bass. How do these, say, compare to the seymour duncan basslines? Are they on the same quality level? I've heard rave reviews about the basslines and was just curious. Does anybody have experience with both?
  2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Well, I'm a BIG fan of Basslines pups, but I doubt that I'd change the pickups in an American Standard or American Series P-bass. They are pretty good.
  3. I have a P bass with stock pups and one with the Quarter-Pound™ for P-Bass® ..
    SPB-3 -- This Precision pickup is for musicians who want maximum output and extended frequency range. Large quarter-inch wide pole pieces expand the magnetic field and extend the frequency range from low to high end for a fat, full, punchy sound with midrange presence. The Seymourized ™ design balances the coils with the magnets for great sustain and harmonics.

You vcan read more at the BASSLINE SERIES

;) Treena
  4. drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    Thanks for the info. I checked out that website - lots of cool stuff! I have recently acquired a 70's reissue precision with american pickups and they sound good to my ear. I just keep hearing things about basslines. I think I will probably stick with the original pickups (less hassle and cheaper!) For the past 6 months I've had PRECISION on the brain!
  5. A friend brought his American P (1999) to my gig last week. It had Sunbeams (rounds) installed, and sounded very nice and clean.

But... no thump.

I don't if this is because of the round wounds, or the late model MIA pickup.
  6. bgavin, i would say the strings are 90% of the "no thump" but you know my feelings there!

;) Treena
  7. I've got TI flats on my MIM P with DiMarzio DP146 Will Power Middle. I get good, aggressive tone from this pickup, but zero thump.

I've thought about putting on the old set of Fender 9050 stainless flats, just to see how they work. I also have a set of DA Chrome Flats for it, but am always too busy/lazy to do it. I'd have to do a truss rod adjustment after playing with the TI Flats, and I don't want to.
  8. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    All i can get from my stock mia p-bass (2000 model, i believe) is thump, but I do use Jamerson Flats... The thumpiest bass guitar strings ever created as far as i'm concerned.
  9. Pardon my ignorance, but what are Jamerson flats?I know Labella sells a set of Old Original Flats with the Jamerson name on them. Is this what you are talking about?

:confused: Treena
  10. DW

Jun 22, 2000
    Treena, those are the ones. They now call them the "Jamerson Set" and it's one of two sets in their Original 1954 Fender Style series (the other set in that series is the Black Nylon Tapewounds).
  11. DW

Jun 22, 2000
    FWIW, as nice as TIs sound, they just don't do the old school thump.
  12. drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    I'm using Rotosound flats. I get a pretty good thump from them.
  13. I have the Jamerson set on my 68' tele bass. I use this bass for most of my blues session and the strings are different in tone compared to the TI flats.

I also use the Nylon Tapewounds on my 83 fretless. Different tone again, but still a great sound.

Thanks for clearing this up for me!

;) Treena