1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender American S-1

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by saxnbass, Nov 4, 2006.

1. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    I'm looking at getting a Fender American Jazz. I want either a MIA Jazz, or a MIA Deluxe (preferably Ash). I'm not too impressed with the S-1 switching system. Does it affect the sound when I'm not using it? What did the pickups run in originally before the S-1 system? Series or Parallel?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The pickups are usually in parallel (for a Jazz), series for a Precision.

If you don't use it, there should be no effect.

3. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    I only played one with the S-1 and it didn't impress me at the time. Could it have just been the one or me? Are they generally good?

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Tonally, I find them more useful on a Jazz than a precision. However, I like having the series/parallel option.

I'm personally not a fan of the implementation of it... really feels cheap and ready to break on me. If/when I end up with a bass with the S-1 switching, I will be removing it for a regular toggle switch.

5. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    East Bay, CA
    I must agree with TP--good idea, questionable implementation. I've played maybe a dozen S-1 basses in stores and even brand new many of them had sticky, scratchy switches. I'd go for a regular push-pull pot myself. Also agree that adding the ballsier series setting to a Jazz makes more sense than giving the Precision a thinner (but brighter) parallel mode, but tone options are always good.

6. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    How hard is it to replace it with a regular toggle switch?

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Not hard at all if you know how to solder. It's a matter of moving wires from a combined switch/potentiometer to corresponding points on seperate a switch and potentiometer.

8. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Cause right now it's a little white button from the factory, right? What kind of switch would I need (on/off; on/on; on/off/on; ect)?

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The S-1 switch is a combined knob/switch where the center of the knob is depressed in order to change modes.

You would need to find a potentiometer of the same value as well as a DPDT on/on toggle.

10. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Now I'm confused. :confused: :confused: :confused: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :confused:

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    What about?

12. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    "a combined knob/switch where the center of the knob is depressed in order to change modes.

You would need to find a potentiometer of the same value as well as a DPDT on/on toggle."

That confused me. :(

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Basically, the S-1 switch is the volume knob, but is also a switch that changes modes when the knob is pushed down. Correct?

Since it is two electronic devices (switch and potentiometer) in one, you will need to replace it with two independent components, a switch, and a potentiometer of the same values. I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that the potentiometer would need to be a 250K ohm audio taper pot, where the switch would need to be a double pole double throw (DPDT) toggle, which is another term for an on/on.

14. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    I didn't know the volume knob had anything to do with the series/parallel switching.

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    That's what the S-1 switch is, here's a picture of it on a Strat:

[​IMG]

16. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    I have the S-1 on my Jazz and I like it. I don't use it much, but it's nice to know it's their when I want it... I see no reason to be changing mine for a Push-Pull pot..(If it aint broke).
    I know a few people have a problems with fender and the S-1 switch and IMO I don't see why. If you don't like it you don't have to use it. I mean it's not going to go off accidentally.:D

Anyway, If you havn't played one with the S-1 switch. I'd wait until you get it to see if it's your cup of tea or not before you stress yourself out over it.

17. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Also, how hard is it to replace the electronics with a Sadowsky preamp? cause the Jazz has 3 knobs, and the Sadowsky has 4 knobs. Also, can I then add a series/parallel switch (DPDT switch) to it? And how hard would it be for me to do this myself?

18. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I have both J and P with the S-1, and I certainly agree it's more useful on the J, but more options are always good. I think it does feel a little cheap on the J due to the plastic knobs, but I've never had trouble with mine, which was an early one purchased new in 2003. With the metal knob on the P, it feels much more solid.

I never use either S-1 now. My J has noiseless Fralins, which for some reason reduce the effect of series wiring. My P also now has a Fralin, which has two conductor wiring and can't take advantage of the switch. Oh well. I like the S-1, but can't say I miss them on my basses.