Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender American Series P a big step up from Ibanez SR400?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LoJoe, Sep 16, 2002.

1. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    I currently have an Ibanez SR400. I play in a band with it and it sounds good enough to most. It's my "first bass". I've always wanted to get my hands on a nice Fender though and the opportunity has presented itself. I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. My Ibanez has a P and a J pickup, a three band eq and a 9V active pre-amp for the passive pickups. The Fender I have an opportunity to buy is a 2000 American Series P-Bass (Not the delux) As most of you know, it has just the passive P pickup with one volume and one tone control. Lining them up side by side, the Ibanez seems to be "feature rich" while the Fender seems very basic. I know the Fender is a better bass, but why exactly? If I can get my hands on the Fender and my Ibanez at the same time and play them right after the other on the same amp will the sound difference and playability be what tells the story? My assumption is that the Fender is simply good enough not to need all the bells and whistles that the Ibanez has. I totally want the Fender but want to feel like I really "traded up". Thanks!

2. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    The "better" bass is the one that inspires you to play your best and create new sounds. Having said that, I prefer the Fender-but others won't. Let your ears be the judge...

3. it seems like you want the bass just because people are telling you it's "better," which is silly. the better bass is the one that sounds and feels better to you.

for me, the P is better.

4. P

Hard to go wrong with a classic.Especially if you opt for the MIA.

5. extreme

extreme

Mar 20, 2000
    My first bass was a SR500 and then I moved to a Fender P - it was an epiphany for me as I really loved the sound. This may or may not be true for you, so you need to try some stuff out. You could always go for a Fender MIM P Deluxe P Special, which would give you a jazz-style neck and the additional J pickup in the bridge. You may find the neck more comfortable as there is a big difference between a P neck and an SR pencil-neck.

6. I used a P bass for two years. I don't any more. The P bass does certain things, and doesn't do certain others.

Yes, they are very fine basses, and certainly, on my quality scale, outclass any ibanez. Many people would agree.

But if you play music which needs that bridge pickup, the P ain't going to work. That's why I play a Jazz now. The music changed, and my bass had to, also.

7. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    Thanks for the advice guys. To clarify, I do not want a Fender just because everyone says it's better, I just want to move up to a better bass now that I know I am going to be playing permanently instead of just trying it out. I'm just back from Guitar Center where I was able to play an SR400 and a Fender American P one right after the other. The Fender is sweet! Very simple and very basic controls, but the feel and especially that warm tone were the selling points. I will be buying the Fender. Thanks again for the advice though!

8. extreme

extreme

Mar 20, 2000
    Good job, LoJoe! We've all heard the P on the radio for years and it just sounds "right". You will enjoy it and may get complementary basses along the way, but you may find you never really "need" another bass.

9. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    Thank you very much! I am pretty psyched. It won't get here until the end of this week or the early part of next week. I was a little concerned about the neck width difference you mentioned earlier, but it turned out the Fender is only .1 inch or .3mm wider at the nut that the "pencil necked" Ibanez. I can handle that! Thanks again for the advice. I just found this website a week or two ago and it's been great so far. Here's a picture of my purchase as it still sits way on the other side of the country...

10. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Nice, put a black pickguard on it.

11. Hey!!!

Congrats on getting that new bass bro! :D

You are gonna LOVE it!! I think it would look best with a white pearloid pickguard though. ;)

Welcome to the club!

12. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Congrats on your purchase - I hope it works out for you. You seem to have made a purchase based on others perceptions of what is better!

I have a P-bass, and know it's limitations. I now have a J-bass, and between the two of them, I think I have most basses (pardon the pun) covered!! However, I play my Spector basses more - 'cos I think they're better sounding and better feeling basses (one is Korean and 2 are Czech - one of my P-bass is MIA and My J-bass is MIM)

The good thing about your MIA P-bass is, if you don't get on with it - you'll get your money back. My advice to you is try before you buy!!! (Although I didn't with any of my Spectors and I guess I was lucky!):)

13. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    Thanks again. I actually purhased it based on how it played, not so much what others thought, although I do like the idea of having a Fender for people to gawk at. At GC I got one of their straps, strapped one on and gave it a go for a good 20 mins. Then when I picked up the Ibanez again right afterwards, it just felt bulky and the tone was not nearly as warm and full. As for the pickguard, I am going to pick the color I like regardless of what anyone thinks! :D As far as getting my money's worth. It is a floor demo in like new condition with a full warranty and I got it for a tad over 400 bucks. Not bad considering Guitar Center has them on sale for 859.00. Thanks again. This is a great place and I guess after being here a couple of weeks now I should become a supporting member.

Regards.

14. Agree with the black pickguard suggestion. That's what I did with my old P. Look:

[​IMG]

15. But if you leave the white pickguard on, it will be able to get into formal restaraunts.:D

16. No P bass should be seen dead in a formal restauarant.

17. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    Wow Andy! That does look killer, at least in my opinion. That was one thing I did love about the Ibanez. It was solid gloss black and just looked plain mean. Where does one get replacement pickguards in the US? Anywhere that sells Fenders? Thanks!

18. It played pretty well too., though there was a..well a "mild" spot rather than a dead spot at the 4th string G. Not really noticeable except when I was in anal mode. It was a good, workmanlike P. But nothing special, which is why I had no qualms in selling it.

When I get another p, it will be <b><i>the one!</i></b>. POssibly a 62RI.

Notice no position dots. That's because it was originally a fretless.

19. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    Well it finally came in today. I had to leave work early for "Personal business" I didn't put it down for over 3hrs. So schawweeeeet! I decided to depart from the tuxedo look and get a black pickguard like a couple of you recommended. IMHO it now looks tough as hell! Thanks all!

:)

20. Looks good. Enjoy it.