Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender American Series

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jeff Corallo, Feb 9, 2001.

1. Jeff Corallo

Jeff Corallo

May 30, 2000
    What are the differences in the various Fender American Jazz Bases? I've seen American standard jazz basses and deluxe versions along with other variations on Fenders web site and on ebay. With the exception of the differences in active and passive electronics, do they all play and feel the same?

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The "American Standard" is the series that has been around since about the mid 80's. Now the re-vampped it alittle, changing the pick-ups, neck profile, body shape. All slightly. Now they're called the "American Series". I would try both of them & if you don't feel/hear a real difference, buy the discontinued "American Standard" because alot of chains want to get rid of them to make room for more "American Series" & you will get it for alot cheaper.

They also make re-issues, i.e 62, 75, Made to the exact spect of that era, & signature series, i.e. Geddy Lee, Marcus Miller which are basses that the famous bassist has been playing for many years. On eBay, you'll find alot of cool gear, but know all the info b4 u bid!!!

<b>With the exception of the differences in active and passive electronics, do they all play and feel the same? </b>

You could get 2 of the smae exact basses & A/B them, & they might sound & play totally different due to the wood. Also, two different people might of sanded the neck & given them different feels. The thing you gotta do & go play a few in your $ range & but the one that is best for you.

Good luck!!! :)

3. Jeff Corallo

Jeff Corallo

May 30, 2000
    Thanks for your response. I've heard people talk about 'dead spots' on the bass. This has something to do with materials and workmanship. Do the dead spots occur with the American bases as on the foreign manufactured bases?

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Dead spots can occour on any bass from cheap imports to expensive custon made basses. If it's set up properly, it should be fine, & if you're buying new, Fender has a "Limited Lifetime Warranty", so that should ease your mind alittle. :)

5. I have a '97 American Standard P-Bass that is a really good bass and I'm glad I have it. It does have one dead spot though, and you had better check out and play a Fender or any other bass for that matter before you play it. Good luck!