1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender American Standard Jazz. 1997 or 2010?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DSBass, Oct 11, 2013.

1. DSBass

DSBass

Nov 14, 2008
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Well I have the opportunity on both a 1997 jazz and a 2010 jazz. Which one would you go with if they both sound and play great?

Best regards/Daniel

2. stonewall

stonewall

Jun 14, 2010
    ontario,Canada
    Thats so personal Daniel lol... unless someone posts one of the two were a bad production year thats your call.I know when ever i have ever purchased a new instrument its like "the one for me talks to me" its like an awesome looking and feeling woman you just know the one when you see her Pal........good luck...sheesh im gettin a chubber thinkin my 2 Ladys right now ha ha

3. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I would take the one I liked best - IIRC, the '97 would be set up for string-thru body ONLY... if that's the case, that would be the tie breaker, if I liked them both equally well - I would prefer the option to top load, if so desired...

- georgestrings

4. DSBass

DSBass

Nov 14, 2008
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks! I hope I get to try them both out. The 2010 have the original case which the 1997 don´t. I do get a hardcase with it though.

I have to google both and see if any of them are bad production year.

I´m trading my Musicman Stingray 2002 for it.

Best regards/Daniel

5. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Sight unseen, the 2010 is more likely to be the better instrument - although there is still no substitute for actually playing them yourself...

- georgestrings

6. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    I owned one, traded it for something else already traded as well, and btw:
    fit and finish are superb, HiMass Vintage bridge is astonishing and pickups, if you happen to be on the loudest side a player, are less "vintagey" and much, much more boomy than CS ones on 2012-on US standards.

You won't be disappointed

Cheers,
    Wallace

7. I would get the 2010. Lighter stock Hipshot tuners and top load bridge option (although on my 97 I installed the American Deluxe bridge that allows top load also, but that's an extra expense) would do it for me.

8. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    Assuming they are the same price, and when you play them you are confused as to which one you want .. the 2010 ... with the case ($90 used value), the 2010's are bringing a significantly higher used market value at this point .. should you ever want to let it go ... that combined with the late 90 AmStands that I had were a tad heavier than the current models that I have had in hand (even with the oxymoron 'high mass/vintage bridge' ...

BTW, it is possible to drill holes in the back of the pre - 2000 AmStand STB only bridges to allow for top loading .. I have talked a couple people on here through it ... also, the early AmStands did not appear to have the fretboard edges radiused to the degree of the current AmStands ... and the machine heads are lighter on the current as well ...

.. in order for anyone to answer this question, and not have both in hand, or know your situation and taste preference ... replies can only be based on market value and assuming everything is completely identical to 'in hand' examination ... I do not tend to keep things long sometimes, so I always factor in resale value/ease .. many may not .. JMHO's

BTW, what is the price asked for each (assuming the same)??

9. bravesaint5

bravesaint5 Supporting Member

May 14, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    The '97 because it would become "vintage" faster... ? If they both played and sounded the same/great/etc.. then go off other things like looks, goodies, etc. I have an early 2000 Am Std Jazz that I picked up off CL for a good deal. The only things I switched were the pick guard to a tortoise and the stock bridge to a thru-body BadAss III. I always get asked by other bassists what pickups I'm using, and they're usually surprised that they're just stock. So, to each his own, go with what you think will make you happiest and don't regret the decision.