1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender American Standard Jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheGreatSealof, Dec 19, 2011.

1. TheGreatSealof

TheGreatSealof Gold Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Deptford, NJ
    I have been learning to play the bass for a little over a year.

My first bass was an Ibanez SR300. Good starter. After a few months, I found a MIM pbass for a great price.

As I have been learning the bass, differences in basses, sound, feel, etc., I have learned to appreciate the nuances in different brands. However, I have a budget and have limited my search for the best bass in my price range.

I have always been partial to the Fender products as I am in my 50's and they have always been in the forefront of inovation and artist users.

I tricked out my Ibanez with Bartolini MK4 pups and modified my pbass with vintage bridge and pup covers to look and sound like a vintage pbass. Labella flatwound 110's, etc.

I was totally pleased with both basses. Awesome!

However, yesterday, I was lucky enough to find a used American standard Jazz bass manufactured in 2000 and in pristine condition for $700.00. I couldn't pass it up. I traded my two basses and paid the trade-in difference.

I have always heard that an American Standard is the gold standard.

I am completely in awe of the quality craftmanship, playability, and sound!

Unbelievable! My other basses do not come close to this instrument.

I can't conceive of owning another bass.

Just wanted to crow a bit. :hyper:

2. pica

pica Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    I hear ya!!!. I love Fender basses. Especially the American Standard Jazz Bass. What color did you get?

3. soulman969

soulman969 Banned

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    Congrats on the MIA Jazz. I've owned 6 of them over the years and now a Squier CV Jazz. No matter what else I play I always gravitate back to a Fender Jazz Bass.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The best bass I ever played was a 1998 MIA Jazz. Would have kept it but it was pretty heavy and my shoulder couldn't take it after a few years. Good score with the 00!

5. my mexi fender jazz got me hooked on bass, and still sounds sexy for the price except she has too many bad frets

Awesome buy man! Americans always love you the best, their sound has the most soul and the neck feels better than the rest imo

6. VWbug

VWbug

Sep 11, 2010
    New Jersey
    Congratulations! :D

My main bass is a MIA Jazz Bass. I like some others, especially a nice P bass but the Jazz bass just seems right. I love the lows, the clear articulate notes, the beautiful smooth singing upper register fills and it's inherent ability to be flexible tone wise. You have chosen well grasshopper. Good for you!:)

7. Congratulations. Any bass player should at least once in this lifetime own a MIA Fender.

8. Pics!

9. VWbug

VWbug

Sep 11, 2010
    New Jersey
    Yeah! Let's see some pics of your new beauty! :D

10. kander

kander

Feb 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Get off of Talkbass now before GAS takes a hold of you!

11. Good deal! Welcome to the MIA Fender club :)

12. TheGreatSealof

Nov 15, 2010
    Deptford, NJ
    It is a white/cream coler. The finish is almost opaque and you can see the wood grain through the finish. Awsome!

13. TheGreatSealof

Nov 15, 2010
    Deptford, NJ
    I'm trying to upload but the files are too large for talkbass. Any help regarding making pics acceptable?

14. muzikman7

muzikman7

Sep 16, 2004
    Here is mine. Tonys_02_Jazz1.

15. arsie

arsie

Jan 19, 2011
    Singapore
    Post it on photobucket and link it here.

16. Jwood

Jwood Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Richmond, Va
    It's hard to beat a Fender bass in my opinion and the MIA's are superb instruments.

17. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    Very nice bass, congrats!