Fender American Standard Jazz vs. Custom Shop NOS 64 Jazz Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by m1911, Dec 13, 2003.

1. m1911

Dec 9, 2003
    I bought a Fender American Standard Jazz Bass about nine months ago. It's black with a rosewood board and I had a good guitar tech change the pick-ups to Lindy Fralins and change the pick gaurd to a WD 4 ply tortois shell. He also made sure the frets were smooth and dressed.
    I have about $1100 in the whole deal and it plays (and looks) pretty nice.

This is used for a heavy blues/rock trio and I want to buy another one for a variety of reasons.
    They will both be used through and Aguilar DB750 on a GS212 Cabinet. (Thanks guys, for the Amp advice on my other recent posting).

My gut tells me to buy the exact same thing again, but I was also thinking about a Custom Shop 64 Jazz. They go for about $1800.

1) The 64 has a 7 1/4" radius fingerboard vs. a 9 1/2" on the American Standard. Does that make any difference on Bass Guitars?

2) How do the Fender Custom Shop pick-ups compare to the Lindy Fralins? I can always put Fralins in the 64, but now I'm up to $2000.

3) One thing that turns me OFF about the NEW American Standard is something called an "S-1" push button switching "system". I really like to keep things simple and am not into stuff like this, or active pick-ups, etc. I know, I know...a closed mind is a terrible thing to waste.;)

All opinions welcome!
  2. jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    dude...for that much coin you should just get a used sadowsky if you want another killer jazz bass.
  3. rrybicki

rrybicki Innocent Bystander Supporting Member

Fear not the S-1 switch. It allows the ability to toggle the pickups from series to parallel wiring. When switched into series (I thnk it's series) the two pickups act as one giant pickup and the tone is big and fat, very P-bass like.

There's nothing active about it. If you never hit the switch you would never know it's there. Its just a couple extra pieces of wire.

It's insanely simple to do to an existing bass. I added a switch to my Mexi-J for a bit of solder and a $4.00 switch from Radio Shack.

There are multiple threads about this mod on Talkbass. Fender is just catching up to what folks have been doing for years.

Cheers, and good luck with your decision,

4. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I've sold all the American J's I've owned in recent years (Standards and Series) but have kept this 64 Custom Shop Relic:

My conclusion is that this one blows away the others. Yours has been modded, however, and sounds like it may be a keeper. Hard to imagine you going wrong with a CS Fender, tho. I've had two and they've both been killer. Good luck.

As to your questions,

1. Yes, definitely. Different feel. Whether or not you feel it's significant is a subjective call.

2. No experience with Fralins, sorry.

3. Agree with the above. A non-issue that just adds another option.
  5. m1911

Dec 9, 2003
    I kind of thought I might not get many responses about a plain ole (Fender) Jazz Bass. I know very little about Bass, but know that many (if not most) great recordings in history used Fender Basses....So that is my frame of reference.

Thanks for you comments. I will (probably) figure out how to do this to the existing Bass. I wonder if there is a Fender up-grade kit available? I'll investigate.

Schweeet Bass eh? Just when I thought I was going American Standard (again), you showed up!:D

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Every custom shop Fender I've ever had in my hands has impressed the hell out of me. I say go for it and leave the original picups on.
  7. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    You have a PM. I researched the Fender Custom Shop several years ago and you might be interested in what I found out and what I have to say about my experience, etc.
  8. I had a Sadowsky 4 string...ended up selling it and keeping this Custom Shop Relic...great sound and playability![​IMG]
  9. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Check your PMs. I send you some info as a follow-up from our conversation today. Let me know if I can be of further assistance....good talking to you today! :D :bassist:
  10. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    Same Here.
  11. If ya know me this will be no surprise,Cirrus!!!
    My 6,new out the door was $1299, a 5 should be in your range. You will not be disipionted!!!! For the money they're crazy good. A USA Millenium would be a great choice too.