Fender American standard or Professional P bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Colton, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Colton

Colton

Aug 24, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Used American standard for ~$900

Used Professional ~$1300

Tell me why?

2. I own a 2014 Am.Std with the CS pickups & it's a great bass all round. Treat yourself with $400 in your pocket not someone else's :thumbsup:

3. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    If you're asking why the Pro costs more than the Standard, its because the Pro is the latest model.
    If you're asking which one we prefer, I personally prefer the Standard because of the narrower nut & its beefy but articulate sounding pickup.
    The fact that its a little more affordable is an extra bonus. :thumbsup:

4. Obviously there is special “professional” stuff in the professional model which can only be played by true professionals. If you want to go lowbrow with the standard, be my guest.

Seriously though. The difference is in the name, the pickups (v mod v custom shop) and I believe the neck tapers on the professional. Save some cash and go for the American standard

5. GBBSbassist

GBBSbassist I actually play more guitar... Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago
    The American Professional jazz I briefly owned had one of the nicest feeling necks I've ever played.

Son of Wobble, Coot and bobyoung53 like this.
  6. Colton

Colton

Aug 24, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Why did you sell it? Do you have any standards?

Rabidhamster and Moosehead1966 like this.
  7. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    Professional.... The P is an amazing bass. Love it so much I bought a pro jazz too.

Lowendchamp and Coot like this.
  8. The only differences that I can feel or hear are they have different necks and pick ups. I liked the neck on pro better. The pick ups on both are really good and although different I liked them both equally. I went with the pro after trying both. It took a little bit of waiting/watching but found a 2017 pro in oly white (still had the the plastic on the tuners,pick ups,pick guard) for $800 on eBay...so pretty much brand new for the price of a used standard. You also have to be carefull about the standards as they changed over time (earlier ones are not string thru, no graphite neck rods) so look for a post 2015 standard if you want those things.

9. jmon

jmon

Jan 27, 2002
    Jax Fl.
    I have a 2016 American Standard P. I love this bass. Most comfy feel of any for me. Great neck and pickups. Whenever I don’t play it my band says “No P tonight?” They affectionately call it “The Booty Shaker”

6836D936-EF6F-4A02-A244-19E1BAD1969B.jpeg

carsbybigd, pudge, Colton and 5 others like this.
  10. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Inactive

May 26, 2010
    Judge each bass individually. I just picked up this 2008 American Standard that the previous owner had set up professionally, frets dressed and a Nordstrand NP4 pickup installed and the original Fender/SKB flight case for $800. This bass sounds amazing, plays fantastic and weighs 8.6lbs and just ticked all the boxes for me, so that's why I bought it. I've played American Standards that were also duds. If I came across an American Professional that was as good or better and was a price I was willing to pay I would buy that bass. If a MIM Standard ticked the boxes and was just as good, I would have gone for that one. Actually I have done that. I also have a MIM Classic 50's Lacquer Precision that will hold it's own against any American Standard, American Professional and American Original.

There are duds and stellar examples from every line, country of origin, series, etc., which is why you cant just lump them all together and say these are great, these suck, etc. My buddy has an old Squier Affinity Precision for the 90's that has a really chunky neck and sounds great.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    sub~waver and Bigguy2017 like this.
  11. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    AZ, USA
    My ‘18 Pro J has absolutely fabulous frets (thin and tall). But if both basses are in the same condition, I’d go for the Std and spend $400 on other stuff. The P was designed to be a working man’s bass, and any American made P will do.

12. My 2008 had string- through and graphite rods. Not sure about the earlier comment about seeking 2015 and later for those features.

Marc

13. Owned a few American Standards and now use a American Professional neck on my 2012 AmStd. The AmPro has to be one of the nicest P necks I’ve ever played. Anyone saying they’re similar in anything other than radius to the AmStd necks probably hasn’t played both. Whether that justifies the extra $$$ is up to you. Both are really great and you can’t go wrong with either, but as much as I was skeptical about the AmPro’s “63” neck profile and the “tall/thin” frets, I now don’t think I’d want it any other way on my Fender Precision. I’ve owned three American Standards and while I loved them, can’t remember being as in love with the feel as I am with the Pro. My 2 cents and probably worth nothing. :)

epoxo57, Colton and Bassist30 like this.
  14. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    There are changes in certain years but the graphite rods started around 1995, not 2015. Also as far as as I know the 1990s standards were string through.

15. tradernick

tradernick

Mar 19, 2008
    Whoa, glad I came across this post! I have a WTB thread up right now for one of these and I'm scouring eBay daily. I want one with the CS pickups which is 2012-2016, right? But graphite neck rods only after 2015? So if I want both it's only 2015 or 2016?

It's hard waiting for the right one to come along and hoping I can grab it. May have to widen search to the post-2015 examples and swap out p'ups...maybe for a Fralin or Lollar...

16. tradernick

tradernick

Mar 19, 2008
    Hahah see my post above this one - I just asked that guy about the graphite rods. So which is it, guys? 1995 or 2015?

17. Original Poser

Original Poser

Nov 24, 2017
    Seattle
    What’s the nut width difference of the two?

18. Couldn't remember what year the standards went to string thru. I just know the standard I played to compare was a 2015.

19. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    Yup ... with the American Standard switch for '95 from the ('89-'94 1/2) Fender 'Longhorns', the change included string-thru-body and (STB only)bridge and what they advertised at the time as 'graphite rods' in the neck … Then when Fender dropped American 'Standard', and switched to the name 'American' series (6/2000), they gave the 'graphite rods' a name, and advertised 'Posi-Flex' rods as something new for that series … ;)

Moosehead1966 and Rabidhamster like this.
  20. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    .. what year is this AmStand? components were different in generations

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 16, 2021