1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender American Standard P5...opinions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by B String, Aug 3, 2012.

1. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I haven't seen very many of these basses around. Guitar Center in the Los Angeles area rarely have any in stock, and if they do they sit in the store for a long time. And yet when they come up for sale here on TB they seem to go very quickly.

Anyone have some experience with these basses? Any opinions?

2. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Really? Nada, zip, zilch? Nobody??

3. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I bought one.
    The only problem I have with them is the limited amount of choices when it comes to paint and fingerboard wood.

I got the only one I could find in stock on line that had a rosewood board took it apart and sent it out to be stripped and painted. It should be back at the end of the month.

I went with nitro fiesta red, rosewood board and tort pick guard.
    A P5 Pino!!

4. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Did you find it to be a good sounding, good playing bass?

5. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    It is a 5 string P bass.
    If you like a MIA 4 string you will like the 5. If you can find a 5 string MIA Jazz to play you can get the feel of the neck. Fender uses the same neck on P's & J's 5ers
    The B is very nice for a 34" 5er. Like most 34" 5's they are touchy as far as set up and strings to get the B to sound good. I only use flats so the higher tension helps a lot.

6. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I've played two in GCs. One was ok. One was fantastic, it had that sound and feel that is just perfect. One of probably my 5 favorite basses I've ever played.

7. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I have a MIA P5 and it's awesome. Strung it up with flats and, what can I say, it's a P bass with flats just with an extra low string hanging there for good measure. The B string is pretty dang good too.

Check out Ed Friedland's review. He speaks the truth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THITANX322E

8. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    That's what I'm talkin about!!!
    I can't wait to get my body back from Southbound Customs!!!

"And a owners manual, in case you can't figure out a P bass" ROFL!!

9. lebaron

lebaron

Sep 13, 2008
    I got one from 09, and although I was not able to try several before I bought it I'm very happy with mine. Great sustain and a tone that cuts trough the mix on recordings and live (actually pretty hard to make it sound bad). I've got a 62 am RI jazz that been the main one for years but this P is now probably up to 50% of the recordings I do.

Hope it helps

//D

10. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Where did you send it

11. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Southbound Customs.
    http://www.southboundcustom.com/index.html

I was going to have it reliced to be just like a Pino but changed my mind and had them paint it with a light nitro finish and a satin clear nitro top coat.

$425 plus the shipping

The good thing is, I got a great deal on it so with the paint it came out only $150 more then a off the shelf one.

12. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Endorsing Artist: AlienAudio Basses
    I really like my P5. Great bass, IMHO. I found a pretty light one.

13. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    How light?
    Mine was 8.8 pounds with the stock poly paint. I am hoping for 8.5 with the nitro

14. My 2008 Am. std. P5 changed me from a Fender hater to a fan, and a P hater to a (wait for it) fan. To look at the components, there's nothing there that I like (maple fretboard, opaque body paint, pickguard, Fender), but as a unit, this axe slays.

15. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Endorsing Artist: AlienAudio Basses
    You got me beat by half a pound. I remember it as being lighter. Maybe I had the postal scale one something spongy when I weighed it the last time. Oh well, it does sound quite nice. Make sure you post some pics when you get your body back!

16. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I plan on it.
    With good luck it should be finished around the 31st.
    With nitro it depends so much on the weather as far as cure time.
    I check the weather in Nashville every day but it hasn't been looking good.
    High humidity is not good for fast curing. I told them I want it as soon as it is done right, don't rush it. A week or so now will pay off for years ahead.

I only had it in my hands for a couple hours. Then I took it apart, boxed up the body and the UPS guy took it the next morning.

17. gmarcus

gmarcus Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2003
    +1
    the whole is much better than the sum of the parts. My main bass since 2008. Everyone who plays it falls in love with it. A pro setup with TI Jazz flats kicked it over the top. It sounds so good in a band setting. Just fills out the sound perfectly. It also plays well with pedals. I can't play with out the B string now. It's like p- bass with extra pillows.

18. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Bought new in November 2010. Tried one at GC & ordered this.
    Fiver-hangout-01.

It is the nicest, most vibe-filled new instrument I have ever played. Playable right outta-the-box. It gets heavy rotation between a '74 parts Precision and my 2002 MIA Precision.

Fender USA's making nice production line stuff these days. Don't dawdle, get one!

19. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I really like mine. If you like the P sound, you'll likely like the P5. Volme, tone and P-sound with extra low notes; what's not to like?

20. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I tend to agree with you all. So if these really are such good basses, why are they seemingly so hard to find?