1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender American Standard/Pro maple fretboards

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by russellh86, Jan 27, 2017.

1. russellh86

russellh86 Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2014
    As I don't have a decent local music shop to pop into and test play instruments, I had a quick question for those of you with Fender American Standard and/Pro basses with maple fretboards.

I have owned a couple of Fender basses with maple fretboards in the past, an AVRI '57 and a Deluxe five string. I ended up selling both as I could not stand the thick, high gloss, poly finish on the fretboard. Looking at the Standard/Pro series, it seems like those maple fretboards have more of a satin type finish.

Question is, what sort of finish is on the Standard/Pro maple fretboards?

2. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Both of my American Standard maple fretboards have a gloss finish but the back of the neck is more of a semi-gloss. What don't you like about a gloss fretboard?

3. russellh86

russellh86 Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2014
    I'm not a fan of the slick feeling fretboards. I prefer an untreated fretboard (rosewood, pay ferro, wenge, etc) with a little grip and bite to them. It's probably all in my head, but the hands like what the hands like.

4. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    It sounds like you just prefer rosewood, nothing wrong with that. I'm the opposite, I prefer maple.

11038931_10153335124128185_7500970467758211037_n_zps1fv4rkd0.

barginkov likes this.
  5. Whiplash71

Whiplash71

Oct 30, 2016
    All my Fenders have a maple neck, I'll admit to it being a mostly visual thing. Sorry, I know that was no help at all to the original question, but my love for a maple neck started years ago due to the looks over everything.