1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender American Vintage ‘75 Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vosk, Apr 16, 2006.

1. [​IMG]

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0190302821

Anyone played one of these? I'm thinking of saving up and getting one maybe at the end of the year.

How does it play? Does it really sound like a vintage bass?

Also (slightly off topic) how long do you think that fender will keep producing this model until they discontinue it?

2. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    they sound good, not exactly like a vintage jazz but similar.

The bridge pu is closer to the bridge giving you a nice 70s slap sound but the fingerstyle sound on the bridge pu will be a bit thinner and nasel.

I very much doubt fender will discontinue this model anytime soon

3. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Here's mine. It has a fantastic tone and I've gotten numerous compliments at several different band auditions. I couldn't really compare it to a real 75 because I've never played one. I'm still experimenting with strings.

75FenderJazz001.

4. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    FenderJazz002.

5. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    FenderJazz004.

6. Very nice, guy n. cognito. Does the ashtray come mounted? The pickup cover as well? And are those thumbrest holes in the pickguard? Pre-drilled?

7. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    The ashtray and pickup cover do not come mounted or drilled. In that picture, I have just laid them in place. There are holes in the pickguard for a thumbrest, but the wood is not drilled. The thumbrest was not included with my bass.

8. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    Ive always wanted a 75'. but they are way to expensive

9. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I tried one a GC at the time that they were closing them out, it was on sale for $820. I should have jumped on it while I had the chance, it really was a nice bass.

10. WOW. I never have been a jazz bass kinda guy but i've always said if i decided to drop the cash on a jazz bass (a fender one anyway) i would buy a '75 RI but never wanted to spend that much on one. I wish i went to guitar center when they had that price on it, would have picked it up instead of one of my current basses.

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I love these basses! Jason (Bassmonkee) had a sunburst one with upgraded guts, and it was one of THE best basses I'd ever laid paws on!

12. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

The '75 is my dream Jazz.

13. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    i just bought one three weeks ago. i had it on order for about a month. this thing plays like a dream. it's got the 70's funk thing going on (im NOT a slapper). i really love this bass. I can find nothing wrong with it. now i want to buy the 62 vintage precision reissue. again, i can't say enough wonderful things about this bass, it has cured my jazz bass GAS.

14. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    Got my Am. RI '75 Jazz in 2000 in natural with a rosewood board. It's a great bass! I've got it loaded with Dean Markley SR2000 Will Lee's and its' tone is very much like the one Geddy Lee got on the Counterparts CD (check out "Leave That Thing Alone" to hear what I mean...)!

15. I don't know if this is missing the point for some people, but you could get a CIJ '75 for cheaper. Even with US pickups in it if you really wanted that. I played one a couple of weeks ago, fit and finish was excellent, and that thing was HEAVY! Definitely a quality piece of wood. I've never played a US '75 RI, so I can't comment on the differences, but the sound was very nice on this one :)

16. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I knew someone had to bring this up! :rolleyes: The MIJ 75RI bass is just that in name! We have talked about this for years, a heavy piece of wood does not make for a great bass!!!!!. This thread is about the MIA 75RI jazzbass and why people love it. I own a MIA 75RI jazz and the MIJ bass could not come close to it! PA070041.
    75jbassRI.

17. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I see the maid had the day off! :D

18. Um, OK. Sorry. Obviously I did miss the point. I just thought I'd throw it out there for people with shallower pockets than others. I never said that the mass of wood made it sound good either, I was just stating that it wasn't some much cheaper Basswood knock off. Not that they sound bad at all either.

Do excuse my misinterpritation of this thread...

19. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I know a guy that has one of these, and I made the mistake of playing it. Now I'm dying to get one. Thing is, he's got one of the lighter weight ones, which I understand they are all not. It plays and sounds fantastic.

However, one caveat... I've played the Japanese ones, and while I did like the USA model a little better than the Japanese reissue, I think they compare VERY nicely, and offer a very sensible and real alternative for those with a bit less to spend... IMHO...