1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender American Vintage '62 Precision/Jazz:

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by toniwonkanobi, Oct 15, 2009.

1. toniwonkanobi

toniwonkanobi Supporting Member

May 23, 2008
    Northern California
    Endorsing 1964 Ears, LLC.
    Do you guys know the approximate weight ranges for either of the AV62 basses from fender?

I like them a lot, but i might go the "custom" route and avoid a couple 10 lb monsters ;)

Curious if any owners might chime in?

2. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    I've never played an AV Fender that weighed 10 pounds. I've had four of them, and mine averaged 8-9 pounds.

3. toniwonkanobi

May 23, 2008
    Northern California
    Nice. Ya know, i just learned that the AV's are sparyed with a poly base coat as a sealer and then with a modern nitro on top. So it's still thin, yeah, but do you feel its less resonant than say a true 100% nitro fender from back in the day?

4. toniwonkanobi

May 23, 2008
    Northern California
  5. M55ikael

M55ikael

Oct 16, 2009
    Imho, this whole nitro thing is a bit hyped. Sure it looks nice, but I would never pay $500 to avoid a poly base coat.

6. toniwonkanobi

May 23, 2008
    Northern California
    You're probably right. But it's not just that separating the AV from AS series, ya know?

7. matskull

matskull

Jun 5, 2006
    montreal
    My AV 62 pbass isn't what I would call heavey, to me it has a normal weight.

The finish apparantly let the wood breath more and resonate better, weither this is true or not, the bass as a nice resonance to it and the finish will probably look better than a normal finish in 20 years.

8. toniwonkanobi

May 23, 2008
    Northern California
    Somewhere in the 8-8.5 lb range? or more like 9 lbs..?

The custom bass route i'm considering is basically a copy of Fender's current AV '62 Precision -- except that i would opt for an "extra light" body blank from my wood supplier, and maybe use Hipshot ultralights for the tuners. Everything else (finish, hardware, FB radius) would be the same.

Resale wouldn't be nearly as good though...that's why i'm hoping the average AV '62 jazz or precision aren't super heavy (or, at least, not significantly heavier than the custom bass route).

Thanks for your answers!

9. matskull

matskull

Jun 5, 2006
    montreal
    You should try to find one locally, it's really the only way to tell if you'll like it or not.
    I have no clue how much it weights, I don't feel like it's too much tough.

10. toniwonkanobi

May 23, 2008
    Northern California
    I live in an area where the bass section of guitar center is pretty limited. Although get this: they had a Custom Shop Jaco relic for like $4000. What "regular gigging bassist" who stops into GC has the cash for that!? Maybe they picked it up used...

Anyways, i'll have to try one out sure. Thanks.

11. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    An option is musicians friend. They have a 45 day return policy, and a October discount going for call in orders for 20% off anything. This can be applied to their used guitars too.

I bought a condition 1 used sunburst 62 RI Jazz that ended up costing me $1055 and I found one tiny ding by the bridge...thats it! I put some LaBella 760FS flats on it and it just kills. I had a CS 64 Jazz last year and there is NOT much difference. The finish on the CS had a little more red/yellow. I am a big fan of the 62 RI necks and overall tone. I want a white 62 P now too :)

12. toniwonkanobi

May 23, 2008
    Northern California
    http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend...can-Vintage-62-Precision-Bass?sku=510298#used

there's a white one for ya! thanks for your advise. if i could find a jazz for that deal, i'd prob swing for it :)

13. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    Yeah, I know ;)

14. toniwonkanobi

May 23, 2008
    Northern California
    how heavy is the jazz?

15. toniwonkanobi

May 23, 2008
    Northern California
    Is $1099 a good price on a mint 1983 Fender '62 reissue precision?

16. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Yes!

Provided it's all original, and in good playing condition.

17. toniwonkanobi

May 23, 2008
    Northern California
    i thought so... having hesitations, though! It's a bit of money..

But man did it sound nice. Not sure if it sounded much different than an 08 am std, but the neck was a little flatter and wider. the guy basically kept it in the case for days!

18. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    That's a great price - and my all time dream bass, especially white with a tort guard. The 1983s (and 82s, and 84s) are the "Fullerton Reissues," the very first reissues and the very last to be made at the original Fullerton factory, using the original dies and machinery. They sell for anywhere between $1500-2500 depending on condition. Buy it or else someone else will, likely another TB member! ;)

EDIT: PS, do a Google search for Fender Fullerton reissue, you'll find lots oof interesting and useful info. Also search here on TB for Fullerton - although you might come up with other topics like George Fullerton and the Fullerton factory, that have nothing to do with the reissues.

19. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I thought I was perfectly oblivious to the appeal of the AV 62 P (I have a '51 RI, a Classic '50s, and an A V '57.

But Sunday evening I put on the DVD Standing in the Shadows of Motown and watched Jamerson and Bill Babbitt playing those early '60s three-tone sunburst/tort/rosewood Ps, and I lost my heart....