Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender American Vintage RI vs. Custom Shop RI

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heat@500Hz, Jul 10, 2005.

1. heat@500Hz

heat@500Hz Guest

Jun 11, 2005
    Lago Blanco de la Roca
    hi all...i'm wondering if anyone can provide some personal opinion or relate experience with the Fender American Vintage reissue bass and the Custom Shop NOS bass, either Jazz or P

i'm going to purchase a Jazz in one model or the other, and although i'm currently leaning towards the American Vintage '62, i'm considering whether the $500 difference for the '64 NOS CS is something i might be willing to amortize over the rest of my life, as i plan to keep this instrument

anyone care to comment?

fwiw, if i go with the American Vintage, i will have my tech, who has some outstanding experience and talent, build a parts-bass spec'd very similar to the CS model (and he sprays a better finish, imho!) for a bit less than what the American Vintage will cost

...and i'm using some store credit for the purchase, so that's why i'm buying new and buying Fender! (i'd have lost my shirt trying to ebay what i traded back in, and plus, the manager is a great guy, whom i like to give business!)

2. heat@500Hz

heat@500Hz Guest

Jun 11, 2005
    Lago Blanco de la Roca
    :hyper: anyone?

3. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I have to say that in regards to the custom shop and the reissue series in general, fender still makes one of the best passive 4 strings ever. I'm picking up a reissue 62 pbass after having played one. The pickup choice and the wide nut width (1.75) makes for a very playable pbass. I will say that the NOS 59 pbass with the rosewood board is head and shoulders above any pbass I've played, including a pre CBS 64 pbass.