Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender: American vs. Standard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaveDrummer, Jun 2, 2003.

1. DaveDrummer

DaveDrummer

Nov 2, 2002
    Im looking to get an Jazz bass by fender but I was wondering what the main difference is between Standard and American other than one is MIM and one is MIA? I cant tell a difference after playing either. I love the tone!

Dave

2. MIA's will probably be consistantly better, but you can get lucky and find a good MIM, go for it

3. Donkeybass

Donkeybass

May 13, 2003
    Odessa, TX
    The secret is to go to one of those music megalomarts and try every mim jazz they have. they will usually have lots more mim then mia simply because they are cheaper. AND dont forget to negotiate prices. Some places will mark the same price on a MIM as a MIA!!! Crazy retailers! Always trying to burn my candles!!!

RT

4. American Basses are simply better built. The necks are graphite-reinforced, they have better pickups, higher-grade wood, etc.

And *I think* that MIM's are not string-through-body.

That being said, if you found a good-sounding MIM, go for it. They're a good deal.

5. Donkeybass

Donkeybass

May 13, 2003
    Odessa, TX
    Yeha they are not string through, nor are they graphite reinforced. But the cost should reflect it. I have two Fender Jazz Basses, MIA & MIM, and have owned them for about 5 & 7 years respectivley. As far as sound and reliability are concerned, the MIA has more sustain and smaller dead spots on the neck. BUT the MIA was twice as much as the MIM. Its the problem of choices.... TOO MANY OF THEM..... BLAST!

RT

6. godlikenothing

godlikenothing

May 25, 2003
    IL
    actually, i've seen MIMs that have graphite reinforced necks

7. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    How could you have known that a MIM had graphite in the neck? You cannot tell by looking.

The specs say that most of the basses made in the USA have graphite reinforced necks. MIM and MIJ basses do not.

Chuck

8. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I own a few of both, the MIA and the MIM. While the MIM basses are great basses for the money and take well to modifications, the MIA basses are sturdier and have more of a solid feel to them. As for the sound, they sound great right out the gate and need no upgrade whatsoever. the pups have more depth and all around sound better. MIA necks dont need adjustment as much as the MIM basses (weather, humidity) I own both DLX's MIA and the MIM, the MIM Dlx is a great bass and it took me a year to even pick up a MIA DLX but when I did it did sound MUCH BETTER . Now both basses have the large slugs and suppose to share the same electronics but the MIA sounds better. I also own two MIM pbasses, The 2nd one I bought used just to modify but it sounds great as is.

9. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    Basically the biggest difference between the Standard and the American is the Quality Control. You are much more likely to find a dud MIM than you are to find a dud MIA. Assuming you can find a good MIM, I think it is as good as the MIA. A little less refined, but when both are good instruments, I dont think the price difference is really waranted.

10. May I ask where?? Unless it was modified, I am almost certain that they have never put graphite reinforcement in MIM necks.

jtbp

11. rygelxvi

rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003
    There are bad MIMs and bad MIAs. But really good MIA will play and sound better than a really good MIM. You can Upgrade a MIM, but that can cost you almost as much as if you got an MIA. The MIA comes great as is which gives it less time on the bench and more time in your hands :D

12. godlikenothing

godlikenothing

May 25, 2003
    IL
    it must've been a modified one, I found it used in a shop, mi mal