Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Amp Controversy

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thor, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I am looking to put together a small practice rig for the house, just to hear myself, not to freak out the cat, dog and wife.

Times being tough, with 2 kids in college, a trip to the shed yielded this tbe amp from memory lane, easily spruced up. It is dated 1968.

My luthier seems to feel Fender never produced a
    'Princeton Reverb-Amp' head only model. He had seen one once cut out from a combo. He claimed it was a 'Class A amp, rated at 15 watts'.

Any of you ampexperts care to shed any light on this? Here are the pics front and back.

Also, any suggestions on a speaker brand and size to match with this? I would build a small cab for it, but would want it to be able to do other duty later with a bigger head, possibly.

Thanks

Thor[​IMG]

2. Thor

Here's the back.

[​IMG]

3. That poor amp. Yep, it was originally a combo with 1-10" speaker. People pay tons of money for them as they are sweet guitar amps.

If it was still in its original cabinet, then it would probably get about $400 or more on eBay I'd guess.

You still may want to sell it as-is on eBay and buy something else. As is, it'll still bring in a couple hundred bucks or so I'd bet.

You could always get a reproduction cabinet for it so it can be returned to its original glory, or upgrade to a 1-12" combo, etc.

Or, if you really want to use it for bass, just build/get a 1x15 speaker cabinet to run it through.

Chris

4. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Thats the real deal. I don't remember how many hours, we spent lusting over those, when I was a kid. Would be worth keeping. They had a smooth, sweet sound, especially with something like hollowbody.:eek: :)

5. Thor

I have to go back and check the date,
    the style looks most like the 1965 on the
    Ebay site. I may have misread it.

I have had this forever, I think I paid like 10 or 15 bones for it.

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I'd build a nice little 1x12 cabinet and throw a Weber Michigan Ceramic 12 or shoot them an email and see if they have a better recomendation. (the reproduction cabinet is a great Idea too... but a bit more money)

7. Thor

Nice speaker that Michigan series ....
    What reproduction cab are you talking about,Sped,
    didn't see it there?

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    not there.... I've seen repro fender cabs around.

I'm off cruising my bookmarks.... BRB

http://www.ampwares.com/ ready to load Princton cabs for $260

9. Thor

Well, he appears to be right, it must be cut
    down.

The 12" looks like the way to go.

Now I'll just have to find a design to
    go with, ported or non, not sure.

Sped, you wouldn't have that ported box
    optimizer calculating site on your favorites list anywhere?

Thanks
    Thor

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Sorry, but if you're going plain 1x12...
    [​IMG]
    Click Here :bassist:

11. Thor

Heck, let's just start a new thread to elicit
    all those little faves out of your explorer menu ...

But that takes the fun and learning out
    of building my own.

I can make a strong box with a hole, now I
    am going to learn to tweak it.

I'm not JORIS, but I can do a decent cab.

Pictures next year.

Any suggestions welcome, as always.

Thor

12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    :D I ended upwith a pair of 60's HiFi speakers for my tube head (pictures on my website under Bass). I'll be loading them with a Weber 8F125 and Michigan ceramic 12 each.

I'm reading up on tube tech and I might just buy all the bits I'll need and do a cap job and retube myself (Settle down nay sayers! I worked as a PCB draftsman/designer for 5 years and have done PCB repair and assembly professionally... I still know my way around some).

I plan to go with JJ stuff across the board. Maybe from here -> http://www.eurotubes.com/

Good luck, Keep us posted!

13. Speddling-

Eurotubes is local (Portland, OR). The guy (can't remember his name) is really cool. He sold a very nice matched set of JJ's to my guitarist and installed them in his MM HD 130. It's cleaner then fresh snow and smoother then butter!

To the original poster-

Keep that baby and do a re-tube! Personally, I would find an old Bassman cab to go with it.:bassist: