Fender and Squier string gauge.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Don mata, May 14, 2017.

1. Don mata

Don mata

Jun 24, 2015
    Hello everyone,

I don't know if this post should be in "string section" or here (since it's more about the bass than the strings).
    My story:
    I bought a used Squier P bass (vintage Modified) from a guy some time ago. I replaced the strings with earnie ball 105-45. In my opinion the E string sounds way muddy and the bass sounds pretty loud. I ended up giving this bass away to my brother as a present and I bought a Fender P bass for myself. My brother's bass has also a fret buzz that just can't be fixed (14th fret, E string... the only fret buzz in a straight neck with even frets) .When I found out that my Fender P bass came with the original Fender strings (105-45) I looked for information about the two basses (specs, strings and pickups) to see what makes this difference so big. I found out that the Squier Pbass VM originally came with 100-45 strings. small difference but maybe this explains the difference in output and sound... Should I tell my brother to replace the 105-45 and get a pair of 100 - 45? What do you think?

I know there are a lot of people here that can help me, so I'd like to read your opinions or experiences.

Thanks in advance and I apologize for my English,

2. Mushroo

Mushroo Guest

Apr 2, 2007
    Fender and Squier basses are designed to take either 100 or 105 gauge E strings. Both choices are within the acceptable design specifications of the instrument.

My recommendation is to take the bass to a pro luthier for a full "setup." You should do this every time you buy a new-to-you instrument (whether new or used), every time you switch to a different brand of strings, every time you switch to a different gauge of strings, and every time the action is messed up due to the change of seasons.

If you are feeling brave and want to try doing a "setup" yourself, look here: ALL BASIC SETUP QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE

3. Don mata

Don mata

Jun 24, 2015
    frets are even and the neck is straight ( I mean, with 0.12 - 0.13 relief). The pickup (E and A strings) is really low. Everything should be in order but nope. That's why I thoguht that string gauge might have to do with that. }

Thanks!

4. Mushroo

Mushroo Guest

Apr 2, 2007
    Every once in a while there is a bad/broken string. Did the problem start only since the string change? Did you try putting the old string back on temporarily; did that stop the buzz?

5. Don mata

Don mata

Jun 24, 2015
    Hi. I don't remember to be honest. What I remember it's the strings height is 3mm and we weren't able to lower the strings without that specific fret buzz..
    My question is: Do you think that lighter gauge strings (100 instead of 105) could help to avoid fretbuzz and prevent from "hot ouput"

Thanks in advance!

6. Mushroo

Mushroo Guest

Apr 2, 2007
    I think it is worth trying a different set of strings. Maybe it was just a bad/defective string. I personally use .100 E strings on my basses. Hope that helps. :)

7. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Bring Back Edit/Delete

Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    To avoid fret buzz and hot output you need to do some basic setup work. This means that you specifically:

- set the neck relief
    - adjust the bridge saddle height
    - adjust the pickup height

In this case, reverting back to the strings used previously might or might not help. Every time you change string type, whether gauge, brand, or type within a brand, you need to do at least these three things, as well as set intonation (which doesn't address your problem but is still necessary.)

This is all assuming the bass doesn't have any functional problems.

The good news is that these things are really easy to do and there is a sticky in the setup and repair section all about it. The bad news is that sometimes people are intimidated and never learn to do this for themselves, and either end up spending a lot of money to have someone else do it for them, or somehow manage to suffer along with ill-setup basses.

8. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Try flatwound string.

My new bought Squier CV50P have fret buzz at 11th fret on G string with stock Fender 7250M 45-105. My neck relief is same as your setting, and the action is from 2.4mm on E string and 2.0mm on G string.
    I strung the Labella LTF-4A few weeks ago and NO fret buzz on the 11th fret (G string ) anymore even with 1.6mm action setting.

Hope help