Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Areodyne

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jon Burnet, Jun 12, 2003.

1. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    All i can say is wow. easily in the top 5 4 strings i have ever played. period. played great sounded better. looks classy. one of the best slap tones i have ever heard ever. sweet sweet sweet. now if it had another string.....

2. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    You know, I was a little disappointed with the Aerodyne. I mean, first of all its a stunner appearance-wise. I loved the looks of the bass. But tone-wise I thought it very mediocre. Maybe it was the basswood body. I actually tried an alder body plain ole standard Mex J-bass (no vintage re-issue, just a regular inexpensive one) and sonofagun, I liked it better. I mean I was biased in favor of the Aerodyne but I actually liked the tone, the snap, and even the overall feel of the Mex J-bass better.

This really surprised me because apparently the Aerodyne is Japanese which I took built superior instruments to the Mex models. Like the Geddy Lee model for instance (also Japanese) is awesome. It looked, played, and sounded great (a neck to die for too!). I figured it'd be no contest between the Japanese Aerodyne and the Mex J but the Mex was just plain better overall.

Could I have played a lemon?

r

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I've played two. I thought they looked cool in ads, but I have to say they look kind of cheesy in person, especially the knobs. One I played sounded very good, one did not sound very good. These seem to be a hit or miss proposition. I think I'm going to wait until they start hitting Ebay at about a $350 BIN before I even consider one.

4. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Well I agree, the "top hat" style knobs wasn't to my taste either, but that's pretty small potatoes that could easily be replaced for a few bucks. I actually dug the looks of the Aerodyne. But given the price, I'd just assume get that Geddy Lee model; both go for a little over $600. The Geddy model easily smokes the Aerodyne.

r

5. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I really liked the one I played, it had a big sound, and I actually think the knobs are pretty cool. Unfortunately, the body wasn't the most comfortable, with the binding and all.