1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender AS Jazz with no inlays????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bichibreaker, Aug 3, 2012.

1. My jazz bass is an American Standard (year 2008). It doesen't have any type on inlay marker. Does anybody know why???

Could it be a fretless with frets now?

image.

Fender_American_standard_1.

2. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Can't answer your question, but I like the look. Understated and classy. I never understood the top dot markers. It's not like a lot of people play Fender basses on their lap like Jeff Healey played guitar.

3. I think it looks great!

4. i think it looks good....but now i need to sell this bass and i'm thinking about if somebody doesn't trust in a jazz bass with no inlays

5. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    Could have been a fretless that was later fretted. If so, the side markers would line up with the frets rather than between them. Where are yours? If they are between, I'd guess it was custom ordered.

6. ShiftyShift

ShiftyShift

Mar 12, 2012
    Did you buy the bass new?

7. The markers are in the middle...like a fretted bass :meh:

I bought it used in 2009/2010 I think.

8. BassAgent

BassAgent

Dec 2, 2003
    Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Official Artist: Eich Amplification
    The markers on my fretless Fender Jazz are also in the middle, and that's an original fretless. My guess is that your bass is an ex-fretless :)

9. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    They are on the MIM standard fretless. The USA Standards (at least the current model) has them even with the fret lines. Is yours MIA or MIM?

[​IMG]

10. BassAgent

BassAgent

Dec 2, 2003
    Ahhh ok, thanks for the info :)

11. its MIA....so, it could be a frettless fretted??

12. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    Fender American Standard Jazz Bass Fretless with markers in the middle. I'd say yours is definitely an ex-fretless.
    [​IMG]

13. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo

What year?

14. BassAgent

BassAgent

Dec 2, 2003
    Question answered!

15. But that is for the lined fretless.

Unlined fretless would be on the fret - not between.

16. BassAgent

BassAgent

Dec 2, 2003
    Yes, that is true. But Fender doesn't offer unlined fretless basses, at least not on the Jazz Bass.

17. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    Yeah, but i belive his bass was a lined fretless. The new frets would on top of the lines, wouldn't they?

that's a 2012

18. So, the bass in question does not seem to be a fretted fretless, or the frets would line with the dots. So, my guess is that it was custom order...or aftermarket neck.

I love that clean classy look - have seen it on some expensive fender clones and I'm always impressed with the dotless look.

Think about it - what good would dots "in the middle" do on an unlined fretless?

LOL!

:)

19. Oh, a fretted lined fretless!

Sorry, I get it now!

:)

20. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo

That's odd, because the one I posted with the dots on the lines is also a 2012. Seems they made them both ways. As long as some of them were made with dots between the fret lines, OP's bass could very well be a fretless that was later fretted. Or it may have been a custom order.