1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender AV 62 Jazz Pickup Distance Changed ????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by daahoud, Apr 26, 2010.

1. I got curious bout pickup distance bt each jazz pickups of Fender Jazz. So just collected each bass photos from Fender Website and combined em on photoshop.
    It's kinda remarkable different bt 70's series and anothers.

But..........
    I think American Vintage 62 Jazz got kinda weird.
    I might be wrong on image. Or Fender put kinda distorted photo on its web site.

Look at this .....

allover_jazz_bass_pickup_distance.

Red Line's kinda index for "Nut" and "12th Fret" to scale all photo to same.
    Yellow lines are pickup indexing line of 70s.
    At the bottom 62 has similar lining with 70s pickup location. And, even bridge pickup's INSIDE ashtray, which AV 75 Jazz meant.

Fender put back the bridge pickup closer to Bridge ????
    Or.....
    the photo in Fender is wrong ?

If you have 2010 AV 62, please inform me the distance of pickups. Should be 3.55inches (9cm) for 62. 4 Inches if it became closer to bridge.

2. ....

3. This isn't the first time I've seen a comparison done like this. Back then it was a gripe about Sadowsky and Fender's pickup locations.

The problem with using stock photos is that it's so difficult to line them up perfectly, and it's half an inch that we're trying to compare here.

Even if the frets and nut seem to line up, there's no way of telling what angle the photo was taken, which could really skew the measurements for something like this.
    To be accurate, you'd have to measure the dimensions of the headstock, body, etc. also.

I mean, just look at that '75RI. The bridge pickup screws are clearly visible, so if you fix the lines to match where the poles would be, the whole picture would be messed up.

4. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    That is cool.....very interesting

5. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    Is there anything new here? As far as I can tell, the basses that are supposed to have 60s spacing do... ditto for the basses that are supposed to have 70s spacing. I think there is simply a problem with the photo of that last 62AV.

6. kekek...... yep. after consider long time and heard your word..... must be photo-distorted.

7. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Photoshop styled pictures....

Look very closely to woodgrain on the sunburst Geddy and the 62RI. They both have the exact same grain patterns.

8. Ha, my goodness you're absolutely right. That is pretty hilarious.

Well, there's another reason you can't trust this picture, OP.

9. and the MIM 70's has shading in the wood around the back pickup.....like poor photoshop job!

10. oh.... Great Notice. Thanks.