1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Fender AVRI ‘62 Jazz 1988

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Dickie, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Dickie

Dickie It's such a fine line between stupid and clever. Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Central VA.
    Price:
    Strings:
    Fender AVRI ‘62 Jazz Bass. Made in approximately 1988. A few things make this one very special: the color is factory candy apple red over lake placid blue. I have never seen another one like it. I guess it is pretty rare. The neck is nice and straight and the fretboard is dark and luxurious looking. Feels and plays fantastic. It is a thin jazz neck, one of the thinnest and fastest ‘62 profiles I have felt. Personally I like thicker chunky necks which is one reason why I am selling this and keeping my ‘64 Custom Shop Jazz. I am not 100% sure if the pickups are stock, they may be Fralins, I can tell you they do sound fantastic.

I have installed Dunlop straplocks. I do not have the covers or tug bar, the bass was only drilled for the tug, not the covers. Truss has plenty of room to go in either direction and turns easily.
    Weight is about 8lbs 14oz. Has a few minor dings and scratches here and there as expected for a 30 year old bass, the biggest one shown in pic, gives it character and lets the lake placid blue show through, the spot is smooth to the touch and you don’t feel it when playing, personally I think it looks fantastic. Frets are perfect and show little to no wear and it recently had a pro set up. Currently she is strung with DR Hi Beams 45-105.
    Here is a breakdown of why this is a special jazz:
    1: It’s a 30 year old bass which is a Reissue of the most classic jazz design. The wood choices 30 years ago were better than today. It’s hard to find lightweight alder now, and rosewood as you know is being phased out by many manufacturers, this has a desirable dark chocolate rosewood board.
    2: The color is extremely rare, I have never seen one like it, dark aged candy red with lake placid blue undercoat, the nitro finish is just starting to show signs of aging, looks fantastic.
    3: It’s med-light weight for a full size jazz, balances perfectly and sounds amazing. I have gigged it a couple times and it sat excellent in the mix.
    4: Probably about as close to a Fender Custom Shop as you can get but about $800 less than a used Custom Shop, also this one is a real relic not faux relic.

Bass comes with original Fender hardshell in excellent shape. Not looking for trades but if it makes sense I will consider it. Ships to lower 48 USA only.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  2. funk7856

funk7856 Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2012
    Atlanta
    That is one of the best looking CAR finishes I've ever seen. GLWTS.

Mastermold and Dickie like this.
  3. nagelfoundation

nagelfoundation Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Austin, TX
    I actually had a 1989 CAR 62 AVRI. These are wonderful. I had mine at the same time as having a bluesman el dorado and a 2010 62 reissue and this one got most of my play time. Great basses. GLWTS. I actually did a recording with it. I’ll remove this if you like but thought a little sound sample might help you sell.

yousaiditman, tomshepp and Dickie like this.
  4. DrewinHouston

DrewinHouston Not currently practicing Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston Heights, Texas
    Disclosure: I am not a great bass player
    Is this still for sale?

5. Dickie

Dickie It's such a fine line between stupid and clever. Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Central VA.
    Yes it is