1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender AVRI '62 Jazz PUP Height?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by MetroBass, Mar 27, 2013.

1. MetroBass

MetroBass

Mar 26, 2008
    South of LA
    Hatred obscures all distinctions.
    I know this is very subjective question but on a Fender AVRI Jazz bass where's a good starting height for the bridge and neck pickup height? I'm not getting much out of the stock PUPs and need to try something. There's like a 2 to 3 number difference in volume between my other basses and the jazz. Maybe it's just the weak ass pups.

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    what are the other basses? if they're all ibanez soundgears and MM stingrays, forget it, a vintage-type J will never be anywhere near as loud.

either way, you want the bridge pickup as high as it will go and still sound good to you (which usually means G pretty close and E a little further away, low enough so that the string doesn't smack into the pickup while playing); then, you adjust the neck pickup to be the same volume as the bridge (which will mean further away from the strings, especially on the bass side).

3. MetroBass

MetroBass

Mar 26, 2008
    South of LA
    Hatred obscures all distinctions.
    Thanks -I'll try this out tonight.

4. zortation

zortation

Dec 26, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Try the factory recommendation, 1/8" under the E and 3/32" under the G, measured with the last fret depressed.