1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender B-DEC 30

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BluesyCat, Dec 9, 2006.

1. BluesyCat

BluesyCat I'm irresistible. Gold Supporting Member

Jul 28, 2006
    Torrance, California
    Staff: Bass Gear Magazine
    Did anyone see Fender's new B-DEC 30 on their site? Would you buy it?

2. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    I would if i didn't already have a jamman an effects processor and a practice amp.

3. K2000

K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    If I was just getting started buying gear and/or playing, I'd buy it. But I already have a bass Pod, practice amps, pedal effects, looper etc.

4. BluesyCat

BluesyCat I'm irresistible. Gold Supporting Member

Jul 28, 2006
    Torrance, California
    Staff: Bass Gear Magazine
    Yeah, makes sense. I guess if you're a true beginner it would be ideal.

5. i agree that this is a good beginner's amp. i like the idea that you can record as well as play along to preset tracks. it also has a stereo aux input, so you could plug in your ipod as well (beware, though, this is a bass amp, treble will likely be weak). 30 watts ain't much power, but if you just use it to practice, it's fine.

not sure if they are available yet. i had one on order (here in europe) for about 5 weeks, they kept saying it was coming, but i finally cancelled because they couldn't tell me if /when it would arrive. i bought a gallien krueger microbass 150/IIIS, which is a very serious studio amp, 100w but fantastic sound.

tim

6. Ancient Mariner

Ancient Mariner Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2005
    Chandler, AZ
    Brought one home on Friday...ostensibly the first one sold here in AZ. Can't use it 'till 12/25, however...rules of the house! :D

Fender had some of these these at the School of Bass II, and I got to try them out...amazing what they can do. Definitely not just for beginners....blows my Tascam bass trainer out of the water (except for portability, of course).

7. Koiman

Koiman

Aug 19, 2005
    I'll be trying mine out on Christmas day after the grandkids go home. A friend of mine has the early version of the gdec and I was amazed by it. As soon as the Bdec was released I knew I had to have one for fun and to improve my skills as a bassist. I started playing bass again about 2 years ago after a long layoff. Recently I started playing with a couple of other guys and have to say my playing and especially my timing has improved dramatically since I started jamming with them. I believe playing along with the Bdec is the next best thing to jamming with others. I'll write a review after I've used it for awhile. I've read reviews on the Gdec and about the only negative comments are from kids complaining that it's not as loud as a lot of other amps in the same price range. These amps are both tools and toys but definitely not designed for gigging. Pretty much all of the reviews on the Gdec coming from experienced musicians are extremely positive. I'm expecting to be favorably impressed with mine.

8. zadillo

zadillo

Nov 20, 2006
    Baltimore, MD
    I'd love to hear some more thoughts on this. I had initially dismissed the B-DEC, but I just finished watching all the videos on Fender's nice minisite for it ( http://www.fender.com/products/bdec30/bdec30.php ) and I have to say this looks like it might be really good for me. I just started taking bass lessons 2 months ago, and it seems like there are a lot of nice things in here that would be great while I'm learning, and also probably make practicing more fun (and get me used to playing with a "band", etc.).

9. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I'm curious as to how it blows the Tascam out of the water? The biggest functions I use on the Tascam is the speed up/slow down of music, along with pitch shifting songs in order to transpose them into different keys.

The B-DEC doesn't look to do either of these, but the stuff the B-DEC does do looks quite cool. I'll definitely check one out if they ever show up in a store around me.

10. zadillo

zadillo

Nov 20, 2006
    Baltimore, MD
    It looks like the B-DEC can at least speed up/slow down MIDI music, as well as an Auto-Key function to change the key of MIDI music (the preset songs in particular), but yeah, it doesn't look like you can apply those to actual recorded music, so that wouldn't be an area where it would be better than the TASCAM.

11. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Bumping -
    to see if any more people have hands on experience with these things.

Part of me wants to say - mmm, that sure is an interesting way to sell a low end amp for a whole lotta cash. All of those functions could be delivered in a sound module costing much less. However, the other part of me is intrigued with it, wondering if it is actually an effective tool.

Bumpage.

12. zadillo

zadillo

Nov 20, 2006
    Baltimore, MD
    That's a good point actually. It would be pretty cool if Fender might take the B-DEC specific stuff and put it into some little module you could hook up to your amp (or even practice with by itself, like a Korg Pandora PX4D). From looking at the B-DEC site with all the examples and demonstrations, it looks like a good tool, but it would be nice to be able to use it with any amp you like (and also so that even when you move up to a higher quality practice amp, you could still make use of the B-DEC functionality).

13. lopxtc

lopxtc

Jan 18, 2007
    St. Louis, MO
    Sorry to resurrect this thread but I am looking into one of these and wanted to see if anyone had formed any more opinions on these.

Im just learning to play and currently only have a 15 watt practice amp. The problem I have is that I can only really practice at night when the kids are in bed and I end up needing to wear headphone a lot when I practice, which makes it impossible to play along with music or follow a metronome or click track. I was thinking that since this has an input for external devices along with internal practice tracks that it would be great for what I am wanting.

Anyone else on here doing the same thing, and if so how is it working for you?

Aaron

14. getz76

getz76

Apr 3, 2005
    Hoboken, NJ
    You could pick up a mixer; might be a better long-term option.

Peavey makes some small budget mixers like this one.

So does Tapco.

15. Therapeutic

Therapeutic Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2002
    I bought it and think it's great - definetly not just for beginners. I've been playing 25+ years and find many of the tools useful - a great, light, well built practice combo, and plenty loud for 30. The guitar/keyboard tones are a little weak but the drums alone make it for me . .and the ability to change arrangements, styles, tempos . . .
    the bass amp modeling & effects are pretty cool too

16. lopxtc

lopxtc

Jan 18, 2007
    St. Louis, MO
    Well I ended up getting the b-dec and gotta say this thing is fun. I just started learning to play in Dec and this really has been giving me some help. I have serious issues with timing/rhythm and this has been helping me get through those.

Now I just need to find the pedal add-on .. easier then leaning over all the time to stop and start LOL.

Aaron

17. Grant22

Grant22 Groovin' the gospel

Oct 29, 2005
    Winter Garden FL
    I know it has been discussed kind of, but does anyone know for sure if stored mp3s can be tweaked at all, like turning off the bass to play along with it.

Grant