Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fender b string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matt R Miller, May 4, 2003.

1. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    i have heard that the b strings on the mim fender jazzs are loose and dont play well. im considering getting a deluxe mim jazz v and this is a big part of my decision. thanks for any input.

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I've found that the worst thing about the B-string on a new Fender bass is the B-string itself. IMO, Fender doesn't make a very good B-string. A MIM Jazz Deluxe V will probably be fine with a quality set of strings.

(Note, for string shopping: Hex-core strings are usually tighter than round-core).

I hope this helps :) .

3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Had one, tried several different B strings, didn't help, sold it. I wanted it to sound good, but it just never did, no matter what I tried.

Only Fender that comes close to having a decent B in my experience is the Roscoe Beck Signature bass.

For essentially the same money you can snag a Lakland Skyline 55-01, and it has a killer B string, and an active 3 band EQ.

4. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    OK, I'll say it before anyone else...

Play one and see what you think.

I had a Fender Am Dlx V, and the B was not too bad....

Until I got my Pedulla Thunderbolt 5, which has an awesome B...

Then I sold my Fender....

But only you can decide whether or not you like the way the B feels...

Just my opinion...

Don

5. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I've yet to find a Fender 5 string that felt or sounded good. The B is fjust loppy as mentioned. I like Fenders, but only in the 4 string variety.

6. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Fender Beck V is a very nice 5 string bass... I haven't really played others for more than 2 minute periods... so.. I wouldn't know but I've played a friends' Beck V for a rehearsal and man its sweet... hoping to own one sometime

7. kernpre

kernpre

Sep 12, 2002
    W. MICHIGAN
    Fender RB5 (Roscoe Beck V) should have a great B. The one I have has a great B.

The RB5 kills the Lakland Skylineseries IMHO. I've owned both (RB5 and 55-02). Shipped the Lakland back to Gard after about 30 hours. Yuck.

8. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    thanks for all the help...im looking into a skyline series

9. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I find the Skylines much better, but again that just personal preference. I think if you went that route, you'd not be disappointed.

10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I've never had a complaint about the "B" string on my passive Fender USA Jazz V. I like the Fender brand strings with a 128 B and I play with a light touch. I think your touch is key on these basses.

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Love the B string on my Fender RB5. I also liked the B string on a Fender Precision V I auditioned.

12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I have a American Deluxe V & a Roscoe Beck V & have no problem with either of the B-strings! The Roscoe's B is a little better.......I don't string through the body.....I did it when I first got my AMDeluxe and hated the B...until I just strung it through bridge.

13. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    what did fender do to the Roscoe Beck basses to make the b string better than whats on the other Fender five, and why dont they just do the same on all the fender basses from now on? :confused:

14. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    The b-strings on the MIM fenders never impressed me, but the Americans all sounded outstanding to me.

15. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    I can't HEAR the 'B'... differences between them.

16. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

There are several factors about the construction of the RB5 that make for a better B. All of which will create a more stable instrument and less deflection.

(Deflection is discussed in depth in this thread if you need a definition: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showt...on&pagenumber=2 )

1. The neck is different. Fender calls is a graphite-enforced asymmetrical neck. Perhaps they use more graphite to make it stiffer than a regular Fender neck? In addition, I think the neck feels a bit more massive than a regular neck. Not necessarily chunkier, but more of a D style. It may have more overall mass than the normal J5 neck. I should add that it is very comfortable and playable.

2. The body is heavier. More massive and thus stiffer.

3. 6-bolt neck joint makes for a tighter, more stable body-neck union.

4. Heavy-duty, Gotoh bridge. More mass and certainly more stiff than the typical Fender bridge.

All these and perhaps more make for a better B on the RB5.

I have gone through my moments wanting one. They are great basses.

I would compare the feel of the B to an SR5. Perhaps a touch better. Certainly better than the B on the MIA JD5 I owned and even better than my former regular player, L2500.

FWIW, I loved that MIA JD5. It sounded awesome. Played like butter. But the B was so weak it was mostly unusable.

Chas