1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

fender b string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MMiller28, May 4, 2003.

1. MMiller28

MMiller28 Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    i have heard that the b strings on the mim fender jazzs are loose and dont play well. im considering getting a deluxe mim jazz v and this is a big part of my decision. thanks for any input.

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I've found that the worst thing about the B-string on a new Fender bass is the B-string itself. IMO, Fender doesn't make a very good B-string. A MIM Jazz Deluxe V will probably be fine with a quality set of strings.

(Note, for string shopping: Hex-core strings are usually tighter than round-core).

I hope this helps :) .

3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Had one, tried several different B strings, didn't help, sold it. I wanted it to sound good, but it just never did, no matter what I tried.

Only Fender that comes close to having a decent B in my experience is the Roscoe Beck Signature bass.

For essentially the same money you can snag a Lakland Skyline 55-01, and it has a killer B string, and an active 3 band EQ.

4. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    OK, I'll say it before anyone else...

Play one and see what you think.

I had a Fender Am Dlx V, and the B was not too bad....

Until I got my Pedulla Thunderbolt 5, which has an awesome B...

Then I sold my Fender....

But only you can decide whether or not you like the way the B feels...

Just my opinion...

Don

5. I've yet to find a Fender 5 string that felt or sounded good. The B is fjust loppy as mentioned. I like Fenders, but only in the 4 string variety.

6. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Fender Beck V is a very nice 5 string bass... I haven't really played others for more than 2 minute periods... so.. I wouldn't know but I've played a friends' Beck V for a rehearsal and man its sweet... hoping to own one sometime

7. kernpre

kernpre

Sep 12, 2002
    W. MICHIGAN
    Fender RB5 (Roscoe Beck V) should have a great B. The one I have has a great B.

The RB5 kills the Lakland Skylineseries IMHO. I've owned both (RB5 and 55-02). Shipped the Lakland back to Gard after about 30 hours. Yuck.

8. MMiller28

MMiller28 Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    thanks for all the help...im looking into a skyline series

9. I find the Skylines much better, but again that just personal preference. I think if you went that route, you'd not be disappointed.

10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I've never had a complaint about the "B" string on my passive Fender USA Jazz V. I like the Fender brand strings with a 128 B and I play with a light touch. I think your touch is key on these basses.

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Love the B string on my Fender RB5. I also liked the B string on a Fender Precision V I auditioned.

12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I have a American Deluxe V & a Roscoe Beck V & have no problem with either of the B-strings! The Roscoe's B is a little better.......I don't string through the body.....I did it when I first got my AMDeluxe and hated the B...until I just strung it through bridge.

13. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    what did fender do to the Roscoe Beck basses to make the b string better than whats on the other Fender five, and why dont they just do the same on all the fender basses from now on? :confused:

14. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    The b-strings on the MIM fenders never impressed me, but the Americans all sounded outstanding to me.

15. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    I can't HEAR the 'B'... differences between them.

16. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

There are several factors about the construction of the RB5 that make for a better B. All of which will create a more stable instrument and less deflection.

(Deflection is discussed in depth in this thread if you need a definition: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showt...on&pagenumber=2 )

1. The neck is different. Fender calls is a graphite-enforced asymmetrical neck. Perhaps they use more graphite to make it stiffer than a regular Fender neck? In addition, I think the neck feels a bit more massive than a regular neck. Not necessarily chunkier, but more of a D style. It may have more overall mass than the normal J5 neck. I should add that it is very comfortable and playable.

2. The body is heavier. More massive and thus stiffer.

3. 6-bolt neck joint makes for a tighter, more stable body-neck union.

4. Heavy-duty, Gotoh bridge. More mass and certainly more stiff than the typical Fender bridge.

All these and perhaps more make for a better B on the RB5.

I have gone through my moments wanting one. They are great basses.

I would compare the feel of the B to an SR5. Perhaps a touch better. Certainly better than the B on the MIA JD5 I owned and even better than my former regular player, L2500.

FWIW, I loved that MIA JD5. It sounded awesome. Played like butter. But the B was so weak it was mostly unusable.

Chas