Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender bandmaster

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Mar 25, 2003.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Is that a bass amp or a guitar amp? I saw one the other day but i didnt get a good look at it.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Guitar...the non-reverb heads still have tremolo on the "vibrato" channel.

It would still sound good for bass, but it's a 40 to 50 watt amp.

3. A Bandmaster is a guitar head.It' s less than 50 watts and is pretty anemic for bass guitar.My first amp was my older brothers Bandmaster head and the matching 212 cabinet.It worked to learn on but sounded pretty bad with a band.The Bassman had bigger transformers and a bigger 212 cabinet but it pretty much sucked for bass too but guitar players love them.The only Fender head that sounds decent for bass from that era(60's) is the Dual Showman.It sounded real sweet with the dual 15"JBL D-140 cabinet up to a pretty good volume.Forget the Bandmaster for bass.

4. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    I had no intentions on purchase. but the one i saw was being passed like a bass amp and i was curious. it would also seem like back in the 60's that the cabs were real small too. i mean compared to today where you have like bass 4 12's or 8 10's. i mean back then it was 2 of anything it seemed.

5. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    There was a complementary Bassman amp, paired with a smaller 2x12 cab.

I used to have a pre-CBS Bassman, with the speakers mounted in a Bandmaster cab -- wish I still had it.

6. Blues Bass 2 nailed it. I let my pre-CBS Bassman and 2x12" cab go and purchased a Showman with 2x15" JBL D-140Fs which I still have. It's one of the best vintage-sounding rigs when paired with that era (or earlier) P-bass.