1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

fender bass 6/baritone guitar thingy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Impulsee, Oct 19, 2003.

1. i have a dan electro baritone guitar. Its tuned....
    B-E-A-D-F#-B
    i was taling to my frien about the band pinback (one of my favorites) and they use a ton of baritone guitar in all there songs. I was wondering if they used a dan electro like mine, but then i found out theres a thing called "fender bass 6" thing. Are these just like my baritone danelectro guitar??~?? please post pics and tell me about them. if you know the price, that would be sweet too because i might wanna get one!!~!!~!!~!! :hyper:

- w00t

2. I don't knmow if they still make fender 6string bass guitars.. but it is not tuned like a baritone guit. it is tuned as a 6 string guitar but one octave lower, and I have no idea a bout scale lenght and string gauges..

3. takeout

takeout Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Kansas City area
    The Bass VI is 30" scale, tuned EADGBE an octave below a guitar. Robert Smith of The Cure uses one of these a lot.

Your bari is likely 27" or 28" scale, tuned BEADF#B or ADGCEA. These were used on a lot of stuff from the 60's (surf music, country stuff underneath an upright, etc.).

4. yeah, the fender bass 6 IS an actull bass, alot of people think it's a baritone, but it's not, It's the same octave as a bass and the E string is a 95 guage bass string.

5. I own and play a Fender VI and believe me it's not a bass, it's very much like the Dano baritone.

Here's a picture of mine. I use the normal guitar tunning and sometimes alternates, depending on the music! I use it on Surf music the most! I play it with a pick because the string width is nothing at all like a bass!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Treena

6. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    I just love your smileys Treena

7. hott damn i want one ;)

- w00t

8. HOWWW MUCH!!~!!~!!~!!

- w00t

9. datbassmon

datbassmon

Jan 24, 2003
    Orange
    Dude, the guy who played for cream used one of those (jack bruce...or something?)...

10. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    they are expensive...really really expensive around $2000 for a playable one...one like treenas i think would be around $3000 if its all original if not more!!!!

just stick with the dano..if not want to trade for a bass? hehe

steve

11. I paid $900.00 for mine. You can still get the reissues from Fender onlimited runs, they go for about $1400.00.

There is a great article about these basses and some players who use them here.....

http://theband.hiof.no/articles/fender_bass_vi.html

The Fender Bass VI is sometimes referred to as a baritone guitar and sometimes as a six string bass guitar. It is a fairly rare bird. From 1961 to the early '70's less than 7-800 were made, but copies / reissues are now available. In the February 1989 issue of Guitar Player it is claimed that Leo Fender intended the Bass VI to be a bass and, with its extended upper range, a baritone guitar as well. The regular six-string guitar, for example, is usually said to have the baritone voice among the plucked strings, so to speak of a "baritone guitar" is, in one sense, a redundancy.

[​IMG]
    Treena

12. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i know of some one that had one..the first year with the pup rings and such..but i lost his e-mail and he was selling it for a good price too..i wanted it

steve

13. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    Sub-Sonic Squire...ive seen em for two hundred at Sam Ash.. two humbuckers, neck thru, blk finish.