Fender Bass Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Loganbassman, Mar 31, 2001.

1. Loganbassman

Mar 31, 2001
    I have a Fender BassMan 100 watt amp. I was wondering if anyone else has a Bassman amp or just know a lot about them. I would like to know what a good tone to set the Bass, Treble, and other knobs would be for rock music or punk rock music. Preferably a deep and thick sound to it.

Thanks, Logan
  2. I have a bassman 100 too. Fine amp. I have been gigging with it since last September. I run a passive P bass through it with a Sadowsky preamp. I tend to run it flat (all the tone controls centred). Occasionally I boost the mids slightly at about 400 hz.
  3. Hey guys, I have a Bassman 60 that I mostly use for practice, plus I'm into Jazz/Country. I usually take most of the midrange out, boost the bass to about 3 o'clock and leave the trebble at 12 o'clock.
    For punk I'd suggest leaving both mid controls at 12, then just experiment with the bass and treble.
    I'd say a little less bass, and a little more treble.

Go Fender!

Mike J.
  4. Michael,

I have heard some reports of the speaker rattling at volume on the bassman 60. what is your experience?
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I bought a Bassman 25 on a 3 day trial as a bedroom amp and for small church gigs.

Used it last night at a church that seats 200, accompanying piano and a quiet drummer. Set volume at 50% and my wife and one other person told me that they could hear me fine.

I was impressed at the tone of the amp, and also to get such volume from a small 25 watt combo.
  6. Andy D, I haven't heard any rattling when I crank my amp, although I haven't done so that often, and when I do, I tend to turn the bass down. It's just a habit of mine. I'm not a real volume freak. So far, all I have is praise and no complaints about this amp. It's got a nice 60s kind of sound. Use a P-bass with flatwounds and it sounds like a Motown session.

Embellisher, when I bought my 60 last July, I took about two hours trying out EVERY combo in the store.(Sam Ash, Queens N.Y.) I was torn between the 25 and the 60, and honestly I think the 25 has a slightly sweeter tone. I love the portability of the 25, but, then started eyeing the 100. Now, I already have a Yamaha 100 W/1-15, so I asked myself why do I need another 100 watt amp? In the end I settled on the 60, and have no regrets.
    I haven't played in a club setting with this amp as of yet, but I was pretty sure it would be more than
    enough for a not too loud Country/Jazz type band.
    I'm glad to hear your report, and that it was adequate for your needs. I know some guys don't even include the new Fenders in their possible choice of a new amp, but they sound very good to me, and I've played through all of them from the 25 to the Bassman 400. I just love their vintage type sound. Oh, I'm not 100% positive, but, I think ALL the new Fender amps are made in Mexico. So What?

I don't have to tell you to enjoy that amp; I know you will.

Talk later guys,
    Mike J.
  7. Thanks for the feedback, Mike...
  8. Loganbassman

Mar 31, 2001
    I heard someone mention in one of the replies about a certain preamp. But for the fender 100-watt amp, do you have any specific pre-amps that you like? I personally am interested in Marshall preamps? Is that a good choice?

9. I guess the 'certain preamp' mentioned was the Sadowsky. I use the Sadowsky with all passive basses. This isn't an amp specific thing...