Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Bass Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Loganbassman, Mar 31, 2001.

1. Loganbassman

Loganbassman

Mar 31, 2001
    I have a Fender BassMan 100 watt amp. I was wondering if anyone else has a Bassman amp or just know a lot about them. I would like to know what a good tone to set the Bass, Treble, and other knobs would be for rock music or punk rock music. Preferably a deep and thick sound to it.

Thanks, Logan

2. I have a bassman 100 too. Fine amp. I have been gigging with it since last September. I run a passive P bass through it with a Sadowsky preamp. I tend to run it flat (all the tone controls centred). Occasionally I boost the mids slightly at about 400 hz.

3. Hey guys, I have a Bassman 60 that I mostly use for practice, plus I'm into Jazz/Country. I usually take most of the midrange out, boost the bass to about 3 o'clock and leave the trebble at 12 o'clock.
    For punk I'd suggest leaving both mid controls at 12, then just experiment with the bass and treble.
    I'd say a little less bass, and a little more treble.

Go Fender!

Mike J.

4. Michael,

I have heard some reports of the speaker rattling at volume on the bassman 60. what is your experience?

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I bought a Bassman 25 on a 3 day trial as a bedroom amp and for small church gigs.

Used it last night at a church that seats 200, accompanying piano and a quiet drummer. Set volume at 50% and my wife and one other person told me that they could hear me fine.

I was impressed at the tone of the amp, and also to get such volume from a small 25 watt combo.

6. Andy D, I haven't heard any rattling when I crank my amp, although I haven't done so that often, and when I do, I tend to turn the bass down. It's just a habit of mine. I'm not a real volume freak. So far, all I have is praise and no complaints about this amp. It's got a nice 60s kind of sound. Use a P-bass with flatwounds and it sounds like a Motown session.

Embellisher, when I bought my 60 last July, I took about two hours trying out EVERY combo in the store.(Sam Ash, Queens N.Y.) I was torn between the 25 and the 60, and honestly I think the 25 has a slightly sweeter tone. I love the portability of the 25, but, then started eyeing the 100. Now, I already have a Yamaha 100 W/1-15, so I asked myself why do I need another 100 watt amp? In the end I settled on the 60, and have no regrets.
    I haven't played in a club setting with this amp as of yet, but I was pretty sure it would be more than
    enough for a not too loud Country/Jazz type band.
    I'm glad to hear your report, and that it was adequate for your needs. I know some guys don't even include the new Fenders in their possible choice of a new amp, but they sound very good to me, and I've played through all of them from the 25 to the Bassman 400. I just love their vintage type sound. Oh, I'm not 100% positive, but, I think ALL the new Fender amps are made in Mexico. So What?

I don't have to tell you to enjoy that amp; I know you will.

Talk later guys,
    Mike J.

7. Thanks for the feedback, Mike...

8. Loganbassman

Loganbassman

Mar 31, 2001
    I heard someone mention in one of the replies about a certain preamp. But for the fender 100-watt amp, do you have any specific pre-amps that you like? I personally am interested in Marshall preamps? Is that a good choice?

-Logan

9. I guess the 'certain preamp' mentioned was the Sadowsky. I use the Sadowsky with all passive basses. This isn't an amp specific thing...

http://www.sadowsky.com/preamp.html