1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender bass bridge screws

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by brothernewt, Oct 10, 2013.

1. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    I bought all the parts for my first parts bass, but the bridge didn't come with screws and I don't know what size and style to use. It doesn't seem to be listed in the parts lists I've found. Vintage style top load only.

Help?

2. Awesome Sauce

Awesome Sauce Already tired tomorrow

Dec 21, 2011
    NW Chicago 'burbs
    Fender standard is #5 x 1" Oval head sheet metal screws, but since 5's can be hard to come by, just get #6 and you'll be fine.

Rob
    :hyper:

3. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    1 1/4" works well, too.

4. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    Thank you Rob!

5. Awesome Sauce

Dec 21, 2011
    NW Chicago 'burbs
    Those actually aren't correct. Those are wood screws, and Fender has only ever used sheet metal screws, which, besides being fully threaded, are actually a different diameter and pitch for the same given size; i.e., a #5 sheet metal screw is not the same as a #5 wood screw.

But I do agree w/ Lo-E. I prefer 1-1/4" as well.

Rob
    :bassist:

6. afiaowo

afiaowo

Jan 9, 2006
    I've had this question as I'm putting together a 57 parts bass.

I appreciate your feedback because I've seen pictures of both with claims that both are correct.

Tracing down period correct parts seems to be a chore.

Thanks, Rob.

7. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I usually just order a box of stainless steel #6 x 1 1/4" sheet metal screws from McMaster-Carr every now and then to keep the drawer stocked. Stainless steel is not period-correct, but finding nickel-plated hardware is a pain and the SS stuff is nice, so I just don't lose sleep over it.

I haven't checked his site, but there's a good chance that Steve at Angela Instruments has the official, nickel-plated Fender parts. Just be aware that you'll pay more if they say Fender on the package.

8. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Stop at Guitar Center and they'll have the correct chrome (nickel?) plated ones.

9. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Just a BassGuy! Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    6 x 1 Phil Oval Type A Sheet Metal Screws (PM sent) - same as for tug bars and strap knobs.

10. Awesome Sauce

Dec 21, 2011
    NW Chicago 'burbs
    This is the guy I use for Fender parts. Great prices and very cool to deal with.

Here's the official Fender mounting screws.

[​IMG]

Notice the description: SCREW SM OV HD 5 X 1 or sheet metal oval head #5 x 1". And again, I agree w/ Lo-E. #6 x 1-1/4" is the way to go. There is no reason, in MY mind, to buy 'Official' screws at a premium price unless you're trying to build a period-correct piece. But of course, not my money, so acronyms and all that. ;) :bassist:

Rob

11. afiaowo

afiaowo

Jan 9, 2006
    Thanks for all the tips. You just saved me a boat load on my pickguard alone!

12. Awesome Sauce

Dec 21, 2011
    NW Chicago 'burbs
    PG screws are standard #4 x 1/2" oval head sheet metal, but in Nickel finish; which, oddly, isn't that esoteric compared to Fender's other hardware. Again, Stainless will work just fine, and I doubt anyone would notice but you.

Oh, and you're welcome. :)

Rob