Dismiss Notice

Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, get alerts, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Bass Fret Wire

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Ed_in_NE_Ohio, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Looking for the exact dimensions (crown height and width) for the two fret wire sizes Fender is currently using on basses:

* Fender Vintage-Style Fret wire
    * Fender Medium Jumbo fret wire

I have a strong preference for large wire, but also like block inlays. I see that the 70s Precision bass (beauty that! :bassist:) has the block fret inlays, but uses the vintage-style wire. So, I'm curious how much smaller it is than the medium jumbo used on the Standard Precisions.

I can't find a local example of the 70s Precision to play.

Thanks.

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

If you are near a store just grab a Squier VM jazz or cv p and you'll see how tiny the vintage fret wire is. I don't know the dimensions but Allparts or stewmac sell it and I think they list dimensions. Shouldn't be difficult to find.

3. Register_To_Disable

4. Thanks 96tbird.
    I invested some quality internet research time on this today, and discovered the following:
    Fender Vintage-Style fret wire = .080" wide X .043" high
    Fender Medium Jumbo fret wire = .103" wide X .046" high
    So, these frets are basically the same height, but the med/jumbos are noticeably wider.

5. I know this is a slightly old thread, but others may appreciate this info:

Source: http://www.fender.com/news/fret-sizes/