Fender Bass info?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by origami, Jun 27, 2005.

1. origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    Hi guys,

I went to GC in Dallas and saw a new bass that I have not seen anywhere online, etc...I wondered if anyone had info on it?

Fender often has basses and models that are available in other markets like Mexico and Japan that are not available US, and I have often seen stuff new on musiciansfriend or ebay that was never on the fender site. But I could not find specifics about this bass anywhere online.

This is what I saw: It is very similar to the US version of the FMT/QMT bass or the Victory Bailey. It is a Korean made. It was a light tobacco Sunburst colour. But it had 24 frets (rosewood fret board, not blocked) bolt-on neck and had Seymour Duncan Basslines pick-ups. It had no pick-guard, active electronics (vol, stack B/T, mid, pan) and an extra mini-switch (active/passive?) This is not the import version of the Reggie Hamilton. I think it is some import version of the deluxe jazz FMT.

BTW-It played “just okay”, like a non-us bass usually does. It felt more Schecter than Fender. I might buy this bass if it came in Cherry sunburst just to have a Fender 24-fret back-up. GC wanted 6 or 7 bills for it.

So who knows the scoop?

BTW-does anyone know where GK gets their "paragon" speakers for the sbx 115-II cabinet and is it 400watts peak or continuous?

2. waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    They don't play anywhere near as nice as a Victor Bailey. The neck needs a good working over. I didn't get to plug it in.
  3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I love mine.

The longer neck puts my hand in a better position when I need those frets between the 5th and 12th. I think I'll be a 24 fretter from now on.

The switch is a "slap switch". It's really like a mid scoop.

Pretty unique bass. The only other store you can get it from is MF.
  4. origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    cool, Quilt....Thanks guys!

that's why i couldn't find it. I was googling for "FMT" or "QMT" and not using the word "quilt".

anyway, i am more of a fan of flame than quilt, too bad it is quilt. i only played that bass for about 2 minutes, and the top finish wasn't "super carvin quilted" it was more of a smudge, so that's why i missed it.

it's a cool concept. fender has needed to start making more 24 fret basses and more basses in cherry sunburst (i only saw the tobacco). a little closer to my "dream" fender. the 24 frets is the only real appealing thing about it. slap switch-snatch slitch. not a feature i need.

i probably won't buy it new, maybe used. the neck just didn't feel even comparable to a US or Japan fender. both my "geddy" and "iron maiden" basses necks feel as good as my US basses. maybe they'll make a 24 fret US version in flame?

i gut all my basses and add EMG's, Badass IIs, Strap-locks. so when i buy basses i always think of my cost of upgrading.

5. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
  6. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    I just played a couple of these today; a tobacco burst (which looks more like a two tone) and a very beautiful caramel burst.

Overall, these seem very well made for a Korean production instrument. I was surprised.

The weight on the caramel burst was really nice. The electronics are active, but produce an excellent variety of tones, including a pretty decent old school honk. The things that really surprised me were that the 24 fret neck had no dead spots, and was integrated into the J body shape / balance much better than any other attempt at the extended scale I've seen on a J knock-off. In fact, I could have easily gotten interested in one of these EXCEPT both necks had a certain amount of twist to them. Man, how disappointing. I mean, everything else from the design to tone etc. was really there. Pretty hip. I guess if you could sort through about 500 of them to find the two or three with straight necks, you'd really have something.
  7. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    In fact, it would be VERY interesting to see this design executed by the USA factory.
  8. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Was a good bass for the money, just felt a little not right.
  9. princeadr

Apr 29, 2005
    Does anyone know for sure if Fender still makes a Fender Deluxe Precision bass Special (the one with a Jazz neck and both P and J pickups) that has passive pickups? The Fender website only lists this bass with active pickups yet I thought at one time it had passive which is what I think I prefer. I'm cornfused! Did they stop making it with passive or was it my imagination that it ever existed?
  10. Nah, I'm pretty sure the passive one is discontinued. But you may still be able to find it at a store, or even order it from Fender. There's a good chance that there's still leftover stock of that bass.