1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender bass neck swap question.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basslayer, Feb 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. basslayer

basslayer

Jan 3, 2008
    Beaverton, OR
    I have a fender 34"/pbass and a fender 32" jaguar bass. Can the necks be swapped from one to the other and both remain playable?

2. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    You'll have to move the bridge or re-rout the neck pocket. Otherwise your intonation will be way off.

What are you hoping to achieve here?

3. basslayer

basslayer

Jan 3, 2008
    Beaverton, OR
    I want the shorter neck on my P-bass, but if I have to move the bridge or reroute the neck it might not be worth it.

4. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    It depends on how much saddle travel you have available on your current bridge as to whether or not you have to reposition the bridge - but it's a real possibility.

The sound may be different somewhat as well since the midpoint of the notes you most commonly play relative to the position of the pickups will move. It may be comparable to moving the pickup toward the bridge by a half inch or so.

5. basslayer

basslayer

Jan 3, 2008
    Beaverton, OR
    The bridge in question is a kahler bass tremolo.