Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Bass Pickup Output....

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Little_John, Jul 26, 2002.

1. Little_John

Little_John

Jul 26, 2002
    Greetings,

I'm John... new to the forum...

Got a question!

I recently purchased my second bass; a Fender standard P-bass. My first bass is a Fender standard jazz bass. I noticed something that I am quite curious about, and I was wondering if anyone can help me out...

I plugged in my amp, set my controls, volume, etc... and noticed that my P-bass has a lot more output than my jazz bass does. Is this normal?

Basically, does the p-bass pickup have a greater output than that of a jazz bass?

Any light you can shed would be great.

Cheers,

Sir John

P.S - Anyone have a black p-bass pickguard they wanna possibly, *ahem*, pass on? Let me know

:cool:

2. EEbass04

EEbass04

Dec 28, 2001
    Lee's Summit:MO
    Measure how far the pickups are from the strings on the p-bass, then the jazz bass. That could be part of the problem; despite the fact that they are 2 different basses. Nobody builds 2 bass alike, we all know that, so each one will sound different and most likely have a different amount of output...

By the way, Welcome to TB

3. My MIM has significantly more output than my MIM J fretless. Both are 2001 models.

I have since replaced the P pickup with a Duncan Hot P, which is even higher output. The Hot P is coming out soon, and being replaced by a DiMarzio Will Power Middle.

The split-P is a more efficient design than the J, and is subsequently louder. Manufacturers that publish output in mV usually show the P as higher output voltage.