1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Bass Pickup Output....

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Little_John, Jul 26, 2002.

1. Little_John

Little_John

Jul 26, 2002
    Greetings,

I'm John... new to the forum...

Got a question!

I recently purchased my second bass; a Fender standard P-bass. My first bass is a Fender standard jazz bass. I noticed something that I am quite curious about, and I was wondering if anyone can help me out...

I plugged in my amp, set my controls, volume, etc... and noticed that my P-bass has a lot more output than my jazz bass does. Is this normal?

Basically, does the p-bass pickup have a greater output than that of a jazz bass?

Any light you can shed would be great.

Cheers,

Sir John

P.S - Anyone have a black p-bass pickguard they wanna possibly, *ahem*, pass on? Let me know

:cool:

2. EEbass04

EEbass04

Dec 28, 2001
    Lee's Summit:MO
    Measure how far the pickups are from the strings on the p-bass, then the jazz bass. That could be part of the problem; despite the fact that they are 2 different basses. Nobody builds 2 bass alike, we all know that, so each one will sound different and most likely have a different amount of output...

By the way, Welcome to TB

3. My MIM has significantly more output than my MIM J fretless. Both are 2001 models.

I have since replaced the P pickup with a Duncan Hot P, which is even higher output. The Hot P is coming out soon, and being replaced by a DiMarzio Will Power Middle.

The split-P is a more efficient design than the J, and is subsequently louder. Manufacturers that publish output in mV usually show the P as higher output voltage.