Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Bass Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JoeyJazzMan, Jan 15, 2002.

1. JoeyJazzMan

JoeyJazzMan

Jan 15, 2002
    Burbank, CA
    This site is great!
    I wish I knew of it sooner I should have come here to ask more questions before I bought my 1971 Precision on E-Bay. I didn't totaly get taken still got a pretty good deal but dove in a little to soon....got too darn greedy!! (was listed as a 69)

Anway I just bought a 62 Reissue Jazz bass and wondered what you all thought of this one? I LOVE it! I couldn't afford to spend thousands on an original. I've tried a lot of other basses and seem to keep going back to the trusty Fenders. I think I'm just sticking to them from now on. The jazz is definately more comfortable to play than the Precision in my opinion. What do you guys/gals think?

2. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    My '62 Reissue (now about a decade old) was my first base, is STILL my #1, and was the only bass I've ever purchased sight-unseen. I love mine and compare everything else to it. Although they are a "reissue" and do a great job of recreating that vintage vibe, I feel that they are incredibly versatile basses. If you crank the tone, you can get a faux-modern sound that is great for Larry Graham-inspired slap. If you roll the tone back, you get a great mid-focused early '60's sound with a lot of punch and mid focus. Somewhere inbetween is great for 4-on-the-floor rock. Glad you're happy with your purchase....you won't find a bass with a better neck!

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Excellent passive basses.

4. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I couldn't agree more with you, JPJ. My 62 RI is about the same age as yours (it's a '91). Although I've only had two and a half years, I can't see myself ever selling it.
    -Dan

5. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I can't comment specifically on the Jazz RI but I can say that I'm a big fan of Fender's reissue series.I find the reproductions very true to the originals; the tone and playability are damn close to the originals; the build and workmanship falls somewhere better than American Series but not as good as Custom Shop; and price point reflects the build quality. I think they are great value. In my bass life I have a '57 Precision RI and in my guitar life I have a '52 Tele RI. Neither of these will find themselves sold or traded.