Fender Bass Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JoeyJazzMan, Jan 15, 2002.

1. JoeyJazzMan

Jan 15, 2002
    Burbank, CA
    This site is great!
    I wish I knew of it sooner I should have come here to ask more questions before I bought my 1971 Precision on E-Bay. I didn't totaly get taken still got a pretty good deal but dove in a little to soon....got too darn greedy!! (was listed as a 69)

Anway I just bought a 62 Reissue Jazz bass and wondered what you all thought of this one? I LOVE it! I couldn't afford to spend thousands on an original. I've tried a lot of other basses and seem to keep going back to the trusty Fenders. I think I'm just sticking to them from now on. The jazz is definately more comfortable to play than the Precision in my opinion. What do you guys/gals think?
  2. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    My '62 Reissue (now about a decade old) was my first base, is STILL my #1, and was the only bass I've ever purchased sight-unseen. I love mine and compare everything else to it. Although they are a "reissue" and do a great job of recreating that vintage vibe, I feel that they are incredibly versatile basses. If you crank the tone, you can get a faux-modern sound that is great for Larry Graham-inspired slap. If you roll the tone back, you get a great mid-focused early '60's sound with a lot of punch and mid focus. Somewhere inbetween is great for 4-on-the-floor rock. Glad you're happy with your purchase....you won't find a bass with a better neck!
  3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Excellent passive basses.
  4. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    I couldn't agree more with you, JPJ. My 62 RI is about the same age as yours (it's a '91). Although I've only had two and a half years, I can't see myself ever selling it.
  5. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I can't comment specifically on the Jazz RI but I can say that I'm a big fan of Fender's reissue series.I find the reproductions very true to the originals; the tone and playability are damn close to the originals; the build and workmanship falls somewhere better than American Series but not as good as Custom Shop; and price point reflects the build quality. I think they are great value. In my bass life I have a '57 Precision RI and in my guitar life I have a '52 Tele RI. Neither of these will find themselves sold or traded.