Fender Bass Serial Number ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zevo, Nov 22, 2004.

1. zevo

Nov 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I am thinking of getting a used Fender Jazz Bass, Mexico made, with serial number SN MN736527.
    What does this number mean?

2. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
  3. zevo

Nov 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the replies. Do you see any problem that may arise with buying this bass that was built in 1997-98?
    I am a newbie and still learning the process finding a reasonable bass.
  4. Mexican Jazz basses made before 2001 or 2002 have 2 same-sized pickups. All other Jazz basses have a longer bridge pickup (because the strings spread apart near the bridge, right?), and so you might encounter trouble changing pickups in the future should one break or something. I also believe they had plywood bodies, while they now have alder. Not necessarily a big thing as long as it sounds good. Also, the tone knobs are Strat-style.... not my thing, that's for sure.

BTW this should be in Basses, not Amps.
  5. zevo

Nov 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    In terms quality, how does the Mexican made compare to the American made? I've been searching to puchase a Bass and thinking of getting this used Fender Jazz MIM. I can save a decent amount by getting a MIM Bass.
  6. The quality is lower on mim basses for sure, the hardware is usually the thing that I notice first that I'd replace. The bottom line though is that if you like to play it and you like the sound then go for it. You can always replace hardware and pickups later if you want, of course G.A.S will probably get you before that happens and you'll be trading like a mad man.
  7. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    As far as quality goes Imagine getting in a Chevy and closing the door, Now imagine getting in a Cadillac and closing the door. that's kinda like the MIA vs the MIM bass, It's all about feel and constuction here. I own both versions and every bass is different but my anology above will alway's be the same. Remember you have Chevy lemons and Cadillac lemons but the quality on the hole is what I'm speaking of.

Now to jenderfazz, I don't know where you get you information but MIM fenders were never made of plywood, They changed from poplar to alder around 2001-2002