1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Bass String Spacing Information

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 2cooltoolz, Mar 23, 2013.

1. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    I know it's an old topic, but I'm building a 5-string parts bass, and trying to choose a bridge. In the process, I've visited a lot of "string spacing" threads and seen numbers all over the place.

I'm not looking for advice, I just thought, within my limited abilities, I'd try to provide some empirical data for others to use. Please add info and pictures of your own!

First: My 2012 MIM Jazz Bass V...68 mm / 4 spaces => 17mm

blackmim_v.

Second: My 2006 Highway One ...57mm / 3 spaces => 19mm

[​IMG]

Third: My 1996 MIJ Precision Bass Light...57ish mm / 3 spaces => 19mm

p-lyte-mij.

I've been around this and other forums long enough to know someone will show up to hate each aspect of this thread. Who I hope will post is others adding information supported by pictures.

Thanks!

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Newer Fender fives have adjustable spacing. When I had a Fender, I set mine at 18 or 18.5mm spacing at the bridge.

3. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    I don't have photos, I use a business card marked with lines that indicate the spacing from the B to the G string if the string spacing is 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, and 20 mm. I estimate the in between spacings. If photos are all you believe, well I am sure there are plenty of people who could photoshop results well enough to spoof you. The following were measured in stores over the last few months with the exception of the last which is my personal bass:

American Deluxe Jazz V 17.8mm (adjustable bridge, could go wider)
    American Standard Jazz V 17.8mm (adjustable bridge, could go wider)
    American Standard Precision V 17.8mm (adjustable bridge, could go wider)
    Deluxe Active Jazz V 17mm
    Squier Vintage Modified Jazz V 17.5mm
    Squire Deluxe Active Jazz V 18.8mm, 19mm

2003 Standard Jazz V 17mm

Ken

jcsk8 likes this.
  4. 2cooltoolz

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    I found this on a different thread. I think it is useful and correct! I hope Doug doesn't mind my quoting him.
    I agree. My 2012 MIM Jazz V again.

attachment.

Attached Files:

5. Skip_NJ

Skip_NJ

Jun 1, 2009
    New Jersey
    This is an older thread that a search brought me to, but it seems like a relevant place to ask this question

From reading around in other threads and here, it seems that American Deluxe V jazz basses have around 18mm string spacing (Ive seen 17.8 to 18.5 listed).

The pickups are 4" long at the neck and 4-1/8" at the bridge, right?

Im trying to spec out a warmoth bass, and Im pretty sure I need an 18mm hipshot A style bridge if I want to use fender deluxe 5 sized pickups. Does that sound right?

6. 2cooltoolz

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    My Zombie, but rediscovered the old fashioned way. I googled it! To make a short story long...

I am on my second G&L, an L2000, which the more I play, the more I love. So, I've been thinking about the L2500. There doesn't seem to be one around here to try out and I was a little concerned about the 17mm string spacing. Went to google for a comparison of different models, did an image search to see if anyone was posting photos, and saw ME! or my basses anyway.

So to add one more to the mix.

2013 Fender American Standard Jazz V. 72 mm / 4 = 18 mm

Jazz Bass V spacing.JPG

7. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    What is the stock spacing on Mim Fender p bass? I'm looking to close the gap somewhat and I don't wanna buy the wrong bridge/measurement