Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Bass U.S.A vs. Japan ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gozan, Feb 4, 2001.

1. gozan

gozan

Sep 17, 2000
    WHAT YEAR DID FENDER STOP MAKING BASS IN THE U.S.A. ? WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE ANYWAY ?

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    They haven't stopped making basses in the US yet. And there are some very nice basses coming out of Japan.

3. Your question should be "When did they stop making basses in Japan for US import?"

I'm not entirely sure but I've got a 1996 Jazz from Japan. It is referred to as a MIJITSO '62 reissue - Made In Japan In The Style Of '62 reissue since it is not entirely correct to the original from a hardware standing.

You can still buy Japanese made Fenders but the drawback is that it will have to come from Japan. There is a website for these. Someone else will probably help with the URL.

The quality of the basses (I own 2) is absolutely topnotch. In some instances owners have referred to them as better than the comparable American product. I will concur that they are at least as good. Used, these basses have been undervalued in the past but that is changing rapidly. I would guess that in less than 2 years they will be bringing just about the same amount as their American brothers.

4. FunkmastaJ

FunkmastaJ

Feb 1, 2001
    Seattle WA
    Iv always wondered at why fender makes many signature basses in japan. Also, Iv had a fender mexi for a coupla years and its very good for how much it costs, but iv also heard the quality can very from bass to bass

5. Babs

Babs

May 5, 2000
    Sandy Utah
    Makeing a bass in Japan keeps the cost way down, that is why most the signature guys are made out there, and the ones that are made in the good ol USA are so damn expensive, I peronally would pick one up made in Japan it is the same thing just cost less. If you don't believe me just play a GETTY LEE.

6. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    I have an 89 MIJ Jazz Bass that I didn't pay much more for than an MIM. I'm not completely convinced that it's as good as the current MIA Jazzes. I did recently notice that the control and pickup cavities are completely shielded w/ brass inserts. Nice! I don't think I could speak for the other components. The overall quality of the finish is good and has a nice satin finsh on the neck.