Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Bass VI is back

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Precision2600, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Woo-hoo, my first post here!

Bigger woo-hoo: Fender has reissued the Bass VI -again- as a Custom Shop Special Edition model. Even has the removeable Fender-Mute and 4-switch control panel. Looks like 3-tone sunburst only for now, but no neck binding or fingerboard block inlays.

It's only available through the rest of the year, and, being a Custom Shop model, is far beyond my price range. So close, and yet, so far...

2. Pics, or links?

3. I would like to see the link too...i looked all over the fender website...maybe you were thinking of the baritone jaguar?

I would love to be wrong though!

4. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
  5. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    welcome to talkbass!

6. Sweet!
    i have never been so happy to be wrong!

wow...the GAS keeps rising!

7. it lists for 3600 USD

8. Yeah, it's a bit beyond my own price-range...but I've wanted one of these for years, I'm going to get one somehow.

At least they're making it again...now where's the Bass V?:D

9. jake_tim

jake_tim

Jun 28, 2005
    North Carolina
    thats not a bass.....

is it?:eyebrow:

-jake

10. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    technically it is, but realistically its a guitar. in one of their own pr pieces floating on the internet, fender said the bass 6 was designed with the guitarist in mind(back in the 70's or whenever it was released). hence the super-ultra-close string spacing. just like a guitar.

11. It's a bass, on the grounds that

A) it sports a 30" scale, which of course is commonly regarded as the minimum scale length for a bass guitar

and B) It's tuned an octave below a guitar, which is a defining characteristic of bass guitars, which are just that: guitars sounding in the bass register. The Bass VI is hence actually a truer "bass guitar" in the literal sense of the words, being a standard guitar in every way except for a longer scale and correspondingly deeper voice, than larger, four- or five-string basses, which are really more like compromises between the guitar and the contrabass.

That said, the VI can be used as a baritone when strung with lighter strings and tuned up to A or B, common baritone tunings. But primarily, the Bass VI is a bass...just a different kind of bass. :D

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yep. It is. It was introduced back in the early 60's as competition for the Danelectro 6 string bass, commonly known as the 'tic tac' bass. The Danelectro was designed to be played with a plectrum, and was aimed at guitarists who wanted to double on bass.

The tic tac and other 6 string basses were popular in Nashville music in the 50's and 60's. They were used to double the bass line that was played on an upright, and help bring it out of the track a little.

These 6 stringers are tuned like a guitar, EADGBE, but an octave lower.

The lowest 4 strings on these is tuned to the same pitch as the strings on a 4 string bass.

It is a common misconception to refer to these as a baritone guitar. These are tuned an octave lower than a guitar, while a baritone guitar is usually tuned a fifth below a guitar.

Most baritone guitars have a scale length of less than 29 inches. Most of these are 30 inches, although there are a couple that have a 29 5/8" scale length.

13. Man, that is just no fair, I love those, I mean, it just looks awsome, and I've always wanted one from the moment I saw one. But I mean, whats with the price! I was like :eek: ! that is crazyness! They need to bring these back as an MIA model or something, that way we don't have to pay these crazy custom shop prices!:rollno:

Oh well, one can only hope....

14. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass

well put!

15. AndreasH

AndreasH

Apr 8, 2005
    Sweden
    Well it is... But at the same time, it isn't

In classical music, the guitar that is tuned 1 octave lower but with the same tuning is called contrabass guitar. This is known as the lowest member in the guitar orchestra. Then we have the Bass Guitar, often considered as an instrument of it's own, which also can be considered as a compromise between a contrabass and a guitar! This is very hard to decide, if this is a bass or not. I mean for me it's more of a guitar with the tuning and the single coils and that the model is a guitar from the begining. But at the same time it's kind of a bass according to in which octave it is working with it's lowest notes. It's up to each and everyone what to call it. Fender wanted to call it the Bass VI. :rolleyes:

16. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have the Danelectro version, and I guarantee if you heard me play it without seeing it you would call it a bass. Since music is auditory what you hear should be the only determining factor over what you call it, IMO. After all, you don't see music, you hear it. If it sounds like a bass it is a bass, no matter what it looks like, is tuned like, or what the string spacing is.

17. AndreasH

AndreasH

Apr 8, 2005
    Sweden
    Yes. Very, very true. but some people just have to put a label on everything. Sometimes I'm one of those people. ;)

18. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Seems like every few years they trot out a repro model of the VI that's on the market for a year then it goes back into hybernation once it doesn't sell well.

Back a few years ago when the last reissue came out several were in local stores and just sat forever before being clearanced out.

People do seem to get excited about it, but then it doesn't seem to 'fit' with most types of music played these days.

19. zipflint

zipflint

Sep 25, 2005
    Spartanburg, SC
    This might be a boneheaded question, but how is this different
    from the Baritone Jaguar?

20. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii

If it is an accurate repro one difference would be the scale length. I think the Jaguar is 28", while the VI is 30.