Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender bass VI pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Aug 29, 2004.

1. hello people,
    like i said in the basses forum, i am thinking about making my own fender bass VI, since nobody has one for sale or anything, and i found where i can get the neck and the body. my next problem would be the pickups...does the fender bass VI have special pickups? or are they just stock jag pups?

thanks for your help,
    Charlie

2. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    IIRC they are strat pups - ask over at the forum USA Custom has as there are two guys there that are rabid VI owners/builders and can say for certain.

As well somebody on that board also built himself a better bridge than the stock Jag/Jazzmaster bridge which is stock for the VI. The standard bridge doesn't offer enough throw at times to intonate properly.

You know I'm gonna wanna see pics of this beast when you're done... ;)

3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Isn't Fender doing a reissue of those now?

4. Yes, but with a different pup configuration. They're calling it the Jaguar.

5. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    They're putting a 28.5" baritone neck on the old standard Jaguar - ought to sound really good, and will be more than capable of a low E (though likely nothing lower than that).

6. BenderR

BenderR

Jun 1, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    In case anybody from this thread is still interested: I played the new Jaguar Baritone twice in the last week. It is very nice and handles the low E remarkably well. I have been fascinated with the Bass VI for nearly 40 years and this new Jaguar seems to be a much better and more practical instrument.

7. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    The Bass VI and clones have interested me for a while too, but I've never played one. Might have to find a Jaguar locally and give it a try.