Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Bass VI

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Aug 25, 2004.

1. ok guys and gals, i need some help here.
    as many here know, i have been GASing for a fender bass VI for about four years now. i finally have started to get serious about saving up for one, but i need to know how much a can expect to pay for one. i am not looking to buy one now, but i should probably need to know how much i need!
    btw, it doesn't have to be vintage, i heard that Fender reissued one in '95 (treena told me i think), and my guess is that one would be a little cheaper, so please, anyone with a fender bass VI, how much can i expect to pay?

Thanks,
    Charlie

2. mr e

mr e

Nov 17, 2003
    nyc
  3. yes, thanks...
    i saw the hellcat VI already, and would rather have the fender,
    and toasted, thanks, but thats a fender bass V. one off.

Thanks,
    Charlie

4. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    The prices will vary widely depending on what you actually want to get. You could try to find a new reissue (if they still make them) or a used one, and the price will largely be determined by color and condition. If you want to try to find an original, the prices will vary even more depending on whether the instruments have been modified, refinished, and what condition the instrument is in. For an original (100%, no refin and all orig. parts), in excellent or better condition, they could be pretty pricey. If you're OK with a slightly modified VI or one that has been refinished, you could probably get a much better deal. Check out Elderly Music and Gruhn Guitars for examples of what you might expect to pay for an original....if that's what you're interested in.

5. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
  6. yeah, i was thinking resissue before i even started this thread...i saw an original for $3500, and i was kinda sure i wanted a reissue. :D

7. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    Fender also has a six string "tic tac" bass out now that is based on the Jaguar body style. Its an improvement on the original BAss IV but I don't think that it has a trem bar.

8. knuckle_head

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    The Jag bari's scale length is about 2 inches shorter than a VI if memory serves - and I think it has a tun-o-matic (Les Paul-ish) bridge system

9. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    Hey Knuckle Head!
    Long time no see since NAMM! I heard the sample of your bass from Basstasters. OUT-FREAKING-STANDING! My next purchase will definitely be a Knuckle bass! :hyper:

10. you are correct...i believe i already ranted about this is a past thread! :D

Charlie

11. knuckle_head

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Long time indeed - I'm glad you were able to find me there.... ;)

I like what Todd was able to get the 6 to do - and I can't wait to hear her in a group setting again. She's my partner/friend Eric's bass... Did you get a chance to play the 6?

* sorry for the derailment *

superbassman2000 - another option is USA Custom parts. They offer neck and body very true to the original.

12. you mean make one myself?

actually, thats not a very bad idea...
    thanks for the suggestion!

13. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I have a couple of six-string basses, a Jerry Jones Longhorn BassVI, and a Gretsch Synchro VI. I used to have a Fender BassVI reissue but sold it as the nut was too narrow.

14. how much did you pay for it?

15. i own four bass VI's. three vintage and one reissue. the vintage models are just off the charts price wise .i have been offered ridiculous money for a couple of mine and quite frankly, they just are not worth the money that the market is dictating. the reissue is a fine enough instrument, but..people are really jacking up the prices in the last couple years. these days i am seeing reissues go for as much as $1,500 to $2,000. i got mine for $495.00 and find it to be absolutely criminal what people are asking for them now. i bought a jerry jone six for $400, modified it a little play it through an old silverface twin and it sounds great.hope this sheds some light.
    if you have the dough, then cool..if not..there are other options

16. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Bought it new in '96(?)for around $700.

17. well, if you ever want to let that bass VI go for a reasonable price *wink,wink* keep in touch!