Fender Bass VI

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by page, Jun 1, 2005.

1. What exactly is this thing, is a bass or is it a guitar??? And how is the modern version , Jaguar Baritone, ? Please, tell me what you can about these things, its been bothering me for a while. Thanks a million.
  2. Looks like a baritone guitar

3. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    My Dad had one back in the sixties/seventies, and he used it as his main bass. He sold it because it was a little heavy.
  4. Leo Fender had an idea. Since everybody wants to play guitar, and you need a bass in a band, why not make a bass that is very similar to a guitar, so we can sell basses to guitar players!
    it wasn't a bad idea, and i rather like the mongrel. it has six strings tuned to a guitar, only an octave lower, it is 30" scale (the bass VI, the new one is 27.5"). i haven't had a chance to play a real bass VI, but i have played the jaguar, and i enjoy it! it isn't hard to play, but the string spacing is pretty tight, so be careful there, but you can use it as a standalone bass, adn it also has a bass cut switch so you can use it as a baritone guitar without takign up too much of the bass's sonic space.
  5. Thanks, I was just wondering, cause I need a new guitar and a new bass ............and that could fit both.
  6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    That's not a good idea.

The VI can approximate the sound of a bass, but not go quite as low. You can play chords, but not quite as high and not with the same articulation. The Bass VI is its own animal, not a substitute for either.

Mind you, I'd love to have one...
  7. Ok then, maybe later on I should get one , not to substitute bass or guitar , but more so as just an instrument to use .
  8. BWil

May 16, 2005
    SoCal USA
    George Harrison played the Bass VI on Beatles records, most noticeably on Let It Be. Check out the movie.
  9. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    I think Hey Jude is George on Bass VI? I think he was using it on Back In The USSR too.
  10. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    It can go as low, it is tuned an octave lower than guitar, same as a bass. The string guage is a little smaller than most bass strings, so you can lose a little bit of low end, but it really isn't much, about the same as light guage strings on a bass. I have the Danelectro version, and I can use it as a bass in my band and you wouldn't hear a difference.
  11. iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Of course a VI can be used as a bass, it IS a bass. The 4 lower strings are the same as a 4-string. I used a Fender VI and a Jerry Jones Longhorn BassVI as my only stage basses for years. I currently have the Jones and a Gretsch Synchro VI. The low E on my VIs is a .90, same as on my 4-strings. Anyone who tells you a VI is not a bass or is a baritone guitar(which are tuned A-A or B-B)is a fool and does not know what they're talking about.
  12. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I played my Dano VI at rehearsal last night, and everyone commented on how good it sounded. The guitar player said, "I hope you play that all the time, it sounds great". It is most definately a bass. :cool:
  13. bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    I am also considering getting one. The only thing I am worried about is if you ever want to change the pickups. Im pretty sure the bass VI type insturments use guitar pickups, and im not sure if all pickups respond so well with the low notes, but Im probably worrying for no reason.

I'm considering getting olp mm5 and changing the pickups in a while. either that or get a fender baritone HH or a schecter hellcat VI. Who here has played a shecter hellcat VI? would you suggest one?
  14. Bass Beast

Bass Beast

Feb 5, 2005
    Jack Bruce played one in Cream. I was unaware that they are still in production, I now have to spend more money thanks to talkbass. :hyper:
  15. iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    In the past I've owned a Fender BassVI and a Jerry Jones Longhorn BassVI, and I currently have a different JJ Longhorn BassVI and a Gretsch Synchro BassVI.
  16. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I'm thinking of getting an OLP MM5 to replace my Danelectro. The Dano sounds good, and looks cool, but I hate not being able to adjust the intonation or the string height individually. The tuners also aren't very good. The OLP looks like it would be a good deal, and I've heard they sound good. They come strung as a baritone, but you can swith to bass strings pretty easily. The Schecter Hellcat VI looks really good too.
  17. so let me get this straight. it is tuned the same as a bass? e-a-d-g....then the b-e strings? how does it do in dropped D tuning if anyone knows...